The mass shooting in Maine left 18 people dead in attacks by a gunman at a restaurant and a bowling alley in Lewiston on Wednesday night.
The fatalities included an avid bowler, staff at the alley and at the eatery, one of whom ran at the shooter with a knife to try to stop him, parents, a group from the local deaf community gathering for a games night, and a father and son. The ages of those so far confirmed ranges from 14 to 76, while many others were wounded.
So far this year, the US has witnessed the second-highest number on record of mass killings to this point in a single year. Only 2019 had more mass killings. It is the worst such massacre in Maine history and the worst mass shooting so far in 2023 in the US, where this problem uniquely occurs on this kind of scale.
Details are emerging of those killed.
Bob Violette
Bob Violette was one of the victims killed on Wednesday night in Lewiston, as first identified publicly by Maine’s Portland Press Herald. Violette, 76, was a retired Sears mechanic and avid bowler, according to his daughter-in-law.
“Violette was born and raised in Lewiston and grew up speaking French and attending Catholic church … a life-long Lewiston resident, Bob had deep ties to the community and was the type of person who made everyone feel comfortable and cared for,” said his daughter-in-law, Cassandra Violette.
“He wouldn’t let you walk out the door without giving him a hug, and a kiss on the cheek. He was just there for everything,” she said.
He loved kids and had a special bond with his grandchildren, who participated in youth bowling nights with him, the family said.
Tricia Asselin
Tricia Asselin was confirmed as one of the victims who died at Just-in-Time Recreation bowling alley, her brother, who asked not to be named, confirmed to ABC News. She was a part-time employee there.
Asselin was the only woman killed at the bowling venue. “It’s very emotional, but Tricia is the type of person who would have done anything for children and anybody,” her mother, Alicia Lachance, told Rolling Stone. Lachance said her daughter died running to call 911 to bring first responders to the scene.
Bill Brackett
Bill Brackett was confirmed as one of the victims by his father, William Brackett. His father told ABC News that Bill was part of a gathering of deaf people playing corn hole at Schemengees Bar & Grill, a popular lawn, barn or bar game that involves aiming fabric bean bags at a hole on an angled board to score points.
Steven Vozzella
Steven Vozzella was confirmed as one of the victims by his brother Nick Vozzella to ABC News. He too was at the gathering by members of the local deaf community.
Joseph Walker
Joseph Walker, 56, was confirmed as one of the victims by his father Leroy Walker Sr. Joseph was the manager at the restaurant.
His father told ABC News that his son attempted to go after the gunman with a knife but he was shot twice in the stomach. Leroy said everyone called Joseph “Cueball” for his shaved head.
Bryan MacFarlane
Bryan MacFarlane, 40, was killed at Schemengees Bar & Grille while playing cornhole, his sister Keri told CNN. She said he was part of the “tight-knit” local deaf community who gather there on Wednesdays to play the game.
MacFarlane, who also loved his motorbike and his dog, was one of the first deaf people in Vermont to get a commercial truck driving license. “Many states don’t let deaf [people] drive trucks so I’m very proud of him for achieving that. He worked as a truck driver for several years,” Brooks said.
Tommy Conrad
Tommy Conrad, 34, worked as a manager of the bowling alley and was confirmed as one of the victims by his family to CNN affiliate WMTW.
He is survived by his nine-year-old daughter.
Joshua Seal
Joshua Seal, 36, described as a tireless advocate for the deaf community, was confirmed as one of the victims by his wife Elizabeth in a post on Facebook.
Seal was killed at the eatery, which was hosting the corn hole event.
“He loved his family and always put them first. That is what he will always be remembered for,” Elizabeth wrote.
Seal was a husband, father to four children, and a well-known American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter in the community and in the state of Maine.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, Seal delivered interpretations of briefings from Nirav Shah, who served as the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) director at the time.
At the time of his death, Seal worked as the director of interpreting services for Pine Tree Society, a disability services and support organization, which praised him on Facebook as a tireless advocate.
Arthur Strout
Arthur Strout, 42, was killed at the restaurant, his father confirmed to ABC affiliate WCVB.
Arthur Barnard, Strout’s father, told WCVB:“I left 10 minutes before this happened. He was supposed to leave with me and he decided he wanted to stay for a couple more games,” Barnard said to WCVB.
Strout was a father to five children. “People loved him. They just loved him,” Barnard said to WCVB.
Michael Deslauriers II
Michael Deslauriers II was killed at the bowling alley, his father confirmed to CBS News.
Michael’s father, who has the same name as his son, told CBS that Michael and a friend charged at the shooter after making sure their wives and children were safe, but both men were killed.
Peyton Brewer-Ross
Peyton Brewer-Ross, 40, was identified as one of the victims of Wednesday’s shooting.
Brewer-Ross worked as a pipefitter at Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine.
He was a also a five-year member of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local S6, the union said in a statement.
“His love of corn hole, wrestling, and comic book heroes made him a colorful character to be around. He could often be heard quoting Macho Man Randy Savage, one of his favorite wrestlers,” the union said.
Brewer-Ross is survived by his partner and young daughter, the union confirmed.
Maxx Hathaway
Maxx Hathaway was confirmed as one of the victims by his sister in a post on Facebook.
“I lost my big brother in the tragic mass shooting last night. I’m feeling a lot of things right now but I’m mostly heartbroken that he’s gone,” wrote Courtney Hathaway.
Maxx is survived by his wife, Brenda, and their two children.
He was due to become a father to a third child in about a month.
Bill and Aaron Young
Bill Young and his 14-year-old son, Aaron, were shot and killed at the bowling alley, where they were out for an evening with their bowling league, Bill’s younger brother, Rob Young, told Reuters.
Before learning of their deaths, Rob had flown from Baltimore to Lewiston on Thursday to help his sister-in-law in her frantic search for information after the pair had not been heard from since Wednesday when they set off for the bowling night.
Ron Morin
Relatives of Ron Morin spoke of the killing in the shooting of the “gregarious, upbeat guy” to the Bangor Daily News, a leading Maine newspaper and news website.
“He was just always smiling, happy,” family member Cecile Martin told the outlet. “Just one of those people that if you are having a bad day, he was going to make your day better just by his presence.”
Reuters and The Associated Press contributed reporting.