If youris arriving through the US mail, can you see when the post office will deliver it? Maybe you’re eligible for a payment but haven’t set up with the IRS, so a paper check could come from the post office. Maybe you went to the IRS portal to and saw a message that your check will arrive through the mail. Or perhaps you meet the requirements for a check of up to $1,200 but , threw up your hands and are now just waiting for your check to be mailed to you by the IRS.
Whichever way you tried to see your payment schedule, you know now your stimulus money is coming — but not when. To see when it will arrive, you can use the US Postal Service’s mail-tracking app and service known as Informed Delivery to be notified when your check is to arrive. (And here’s what we know about.)
See if you can use Informed Delivery
When the Postal Service runs mail through its automated mail sorting equipment, it creates a digital image of the front of all letter-size mail. The Informed Delivery program uses this digitally captured information to notify you when each piece of mail is on the way.
The service is available to many residential and personal PO box addresses but not businesses. It also won’t work for some multiunit buildings where the postal service hasn’t yet identified each unit.
Here’s how to check whether it’s available in your area.
1. Head to the Postal Service’s Informed Delivery page and tap the Sign Up for Free button.
2. Enter your mailing address, and tap Continue.
If the service is available, you can continue to set up an account.
Set up the Informed Delivery service
If you’re eligible, here’s how to set up your account.
1. On the Postal Service’s Informed Delivery page, if you haven’t yet, tap Sign Up for Free.
2. After you enter your mailing address and confirm it’s in the service, accept the terms and conditions and tap Continue.
3. On the next page, choose your username, password and security questions; enter your contact information; and then tap Continue.
4. On the next page, you’ll need to verify your identity. Tap Verify identity online if you want to receive a verification code on your phone or tap Request invitation code by mail if you want the postal service to mail a code to you. If neither method works for you, may also be given the option to visit a post office to verify your identity in person.
How to see your what’s coming in the mail
The IRS said it can take three business days to activate your account after you set it up. Once it’s live, you will receive an email each morning Monday through Saturday if mail is scheduled to arrive, notifying you of mail that will be delivered, along with a grayscale image of the front of the letter.
You can also use the free Android and iPhone Informed Delivery app to be notified.
For more on ordering and receiving packages during the, here’s how to find , , and .
Uplifting scenes of coronavirus solidarity around the world
See all photos