California racing course refuses to close after two more horses die

(Reuters) – The Santa Anita Park horse racing track near Los Angeles will not close before season-end as requested by regulators, its owners said on Sunday, after media reported that two more horses died at the course, bringing the toll to 29 since Christmas.

The leading thoroughbred racetrack voluntarily closed for most of March after a spate of racehorse deaths, most of them due to injuries. Following an inquiry by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, the track re-opened, pledging to implement safety reforms.

But the Los Angeles Times reported on Sunday that a 4-year-old gelding, Formal Dude, was euthanized after being injured during a mile dirt race on Saturday, and a 3-year-old filly died after cantering across the finish line. No cause of death has yet been determined, pending a necropsy.

The California Horse Racing Board (CHRB) has asked that the track voluntarily close, according to the newspaper, but in a statement track owners the Stronach Group said it would stay open until the season officially ends on June 23.

“We are collectively working on behalf of everyone in the sport — grooms, hot walkers, jockeys, exercise riders, starters, trainers, owners, track managers and every horse wearing a bridle and a saddle — to reform and improve racing every day,” the Stronach Group said in a statement on Sunday.

Santa Anita Park would stay open until these reforms had been completed, the company said.

The CHRB does not have the authority to immediately close the race track in Arcadia, about 15 miles northeast of Los Angeles. To implement a closure, the board must go through a formal process that includes a hearing with a 10-day notice period.

Reporting by Rich McKay in Atlanta; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
source: reuters.com


🕐 Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title 📊 i-Score
1 Air pollution now linked to another health condition… after studies reveal it could cause autism and cancer 🔴 78 / 100
2 Ronin the rat sets new landmine-sniffing record 🔴 75 / 100
3 Mach CEO on building defense tech company in your 20s 🔴 75 / 100
4 Meta whistleblower’s testimony will show if Mark Zuckerberg, other execs ‘lied to Congress’ about China ties: Sen. Hawley 🔴 75 / 100
5 Trump Extends Deadline for a TikTok Deal 🔴 75 / 100
6 Mother of football star knifed to death bursts into tears on live TV and sends message to murderer 🔴 72 / 100
7 Prince Andrew wrote birthday letters to Xi Jinping, ex-adviser told court 🔴 72 / 100
8 Russell Brand’s Net Worth: How Much Money the Comedian Has Now 🔴 65 / 100
9 Cash Isa rates hiked as high as 5.92% by Plum, Chip and CMC: Which is the new best buy? 🔵 60 / 100
10 Afghan's claim he is 140 years old – making him the oldest person EVER to have lived – is investigated by the Taliban 🔵 45 / 100

View More Top News ➡️