Man Utd News: Wayne Rooney told me he would quit England duty – Jose Mourinho

Rooney, who left Manchester United for Everton earlier this summer, stunned the footballing world by announcing his international retirement on Wednesday.

But though it came as a shock to many, Jose Mourinho claims the 31-year-old had contacted him to inform him of his decision.

“He told me the night before,” he said.

“I am nobody to tell him agree, not agree, to do it or not do it, just listened to his reasons and I understand his reasons.

“He does it for Everton, he does it for his family, so I have no complaints.

“I just realise, like many other people, when he retires, you realise how many matches he played, how many goals he scored, what he represents for the football in this country and many congratulations for his career with the Three Lions.”

Speaking after announcing his retirement, Wayne Rooney admitted he had thought long and hard about the decision.

“It was great Gareth Southgate called me this week to tell me he wanted me back in the England squad for the upcoming matches. I really appreciated that,” he said in a statement.

“However, having already thought long and hard, I told Gareth that I had now decided to retire for good from international football.

“It is a really tough decision and one I have discussed with my family, my manager at Everton and those closest to me.

“Playing for England has always been special to me. Every time I was selected as a player or captain was a real privilege and I thank everyone who helped me. But I believe now is the time to bow out.

“Leaving Manchester United was a tough call but I know I made the right decision in coming home to Everton. Now I want to focus all my energies on helping them be successful.

“I will always remain a passionate England fan. One of my very few regrets is not to have been part of a successful England tournament side. Hopefully the exciting players Gareth is bringing through can take that ambition further and I hope everyone will get behind the team.

“One day the dream will come true and I look forward to being there as a fan – or in any capacity.”


🕐 Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title 📊 i-Score
1 Europe hopes for Trump tariffs deal but prepares for the worst 🟢 85 / 100
2 Meta whistleblower to testify after explosive memoir slamming Mark Zuckerberg was blocked 🟢 85 / 100
3 'Time to increase pressure on Moscow,' Ukrainian minister says 🔴 78 / 100
4 Global markets in turmoil as Trump tariffs wipe £1.5tn off Wall Street 🔴 78 / 100
5 Piers Morgan sparks fury with fans on Donald Trump's global tariffs verdict 🔴 65 / 100
6 X may soon start selling inactive usernames to Verified Organizations starting at $10K, code reveals 🔴 65 / 100
7 Spain could include Camp Nou final in bid to host 2035 Rugby World Cup 🔴 62 / 100
8 Ancient DNA sheds light on origins of 7,000-year-old Saharan mummies 🔵 55 / 100
9 A messed-up ‘Steamboat Willie’ horror film was shot on the Staten Island ferry Pete Davidson and Colin Jost bought 🔵 55 / 100
10 Nvidia Finally Spills The Beans On What's Powering The Switch 2, Promises '10x' Graphics Performance Of Original Switch 🔵 52 / 100

View More Top News ➡️