Trump Administration Has Begun a War on Science, Researchers Say

Importance Score: 78 / 100 šŸ”“

Some 1,900 leading researchers accused the Trump administration in an open letter on Monday of conducting a ā€œwholesale assault on U.S. scienceā€ that could set back research by decades and that threatens the health and safety of Americans.

The letterā€™s signatories, all of them elected members of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, warned of the damage being done by layoffs at health and science agencies and cuts and delays to funding that has historically supported research inside the government and across American universities.

ā€œFor over 80 years, wise investments by the U.S. government have built up the nationā€™s research enterprise, making it the envy of the world,ā€ the letter said. ā€œAstoundingly, the Trump administration is destabilizing this enterprise by gutting funding for research, firing thousands of scientists, removing public access to scientific data and pressuring researchers to alter or abandon their work on ideological grounds.ā€

The letter said that many universities and research institutions had so far ā€œkept silent to avoid antagonizing the administration and jeopardizing their funding.ā€ But, it said, ā€œthe nationā€™s scientific enterprise is being decimated.ā€

The signatories called on Americans to appeal to Congress to protect scientific funding.

With Elon Muskā€™s efforts to cut spending and President Trumpā€™s crackdown on institutions he sees as ideological enemies, the administration has sought to dismantle parts of the federal governmentā€™s scientific funding apparatus.

Funding from the National Institutes of Health, which supports work by more than 300,000 scientists across the country, has fallen billions of dollars short of typical levels during the early months of the Trump administration.

The White House has also moved to cancel research in specific areas, like transgender health and climate science.

The Trump administration announced last week that it was laying off 10,000 employees at the Health and Human Services Department as part of a broad reorganization that reflected the priorities of the health secretary, Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

The department has hired a discredited vaccine skeptic to research a link, long debunked by scientists, between vaccines and autism. On Friday, the nationā€™s top vaccine regulator resigned, citing Mr. Kennedyā€™s ā€œmisinformation and lies.ā€

In recent weeks, members of the National Academy of Medicine, a nonprofit organization that provides independent health policy advice, began discussing their concerns with members of the national academies of sciences and engineering.

Those conversations gave rise to the open letter, said Dr. Steven Woolf, an organizer of the letter who studies health policy at Virginia Commonwealth University.

The letter was drafted by a group of 13 scientists representing fields like medicine, climate science, sociology and economics.

ā€œI know what this is going to do to life expectancy in the United States, to mortality rates, to the mental health crisis weā€™re having,ā€ Dr. Woolf said. ā€œThese changes in the research enterprise are going to translate into harms to everyday Americans.ā€

Dr. Woolf cited, for example, the planned restructuring of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, a small agency charged with protecting patient safety and guaranteeing Americans access to free preventive services like mammograms.

ā€œThe agency responsible for protecting the quality of health care in the United States just got demolished,ā€ Dr. Woolf said.

The letter outlines the consequences of funding cuts, including pauses on research studies, faculty layoffs and reduced graduate student enrollments.

It also accuses the administration of ā€œengaging in censorshipā€ by, among other things, ā€œblocking research on topics it finds objectionable, such as climate change, or that yields results it does not like, on topics ranging from vaccine safety to economic trends.ā€

source: nytimes.com


šŸ• Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title šŸ“Š i-Score
1 Trump's tariffs are a longtime goal fulfilled – and his biggest gamble yet šŸŸ¢ 85 / 100
2 Vilified, arrested, held incommunicado: that's the price of protest in Britain today | George Monbiot šŸ”“ 78 / 100
3 Tariffs Explained: Impacts for You as Trump Confirms Worldwide Tariff Wave šŸ”“ 75 / 100
4 Texas high school football star Austin Metcalf stabbed in the heart, left to die in twin brotherā€™s arms at track meet: dad šŸ”“ 72 / 100
5 E.U. chief warns of further countermeasures against U.S. tariffs if negotiations fail šŸ”“ 72 / 100
6 Donald Trump's tariffs send US dollar into freefall as stock indexes rocked šŸ”“ 72 / 100
7 Can I interest you in an app that tracks your driving behavior? šŸ”“ 72 / 100
8 Netanyahu arrives in Hungary for talks despite ICC arrest warrant šŸ”“ 65 / 100
9 Gwyneth Paltrow's nepo baby Apple Martin breaks silence on 'really upsetting' criticism after 'mean girl' saga šŸ”“ 65 / 100
10 JAXA institute studying Mars lander concept šŸ”“ 65 / 100

View More Top News āž”ļø