Puerto Rico governor creates task force to examine hurricane-related deaths

Image: Puerto Rico Hurricane Recovery Image: Puerto Rico Hurricane Recovery

People walk on a damaged pier caused by the passing of Hurricane Maria in the Punta Santiago beachfront neighborhood in Humacao on Dec. 8, 2017. Ricardo Arduengo / NBC News

Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló announced on Thursday the formation of a task force to examine the number of deaths related to Hurricane María. The group is expected to report its findings, including any revised numbers, in 90 days.

Saying it was important to “guarantee transparency” as part of the island’s recovery process, the executive order tasks Public Safety Secretary Héctor Pesquera with creating and coordinating a process, in conjunction with health, forensic, and demographic registries, to review deaths following Hurricane María and whether they are related to the effects of the devastating storm.

RELATED: Anger grows and hope fades as Puerto Rico’s ground zero remains without power

Pesquera, who will coordinate the task force, had been highly critical in the past of claims that the death toll was in the hundreds. He called San Mayor Carmen Yulín “irresponsible” back in November when she said that the number could be closer to 500.

However, in early December, when he announced the official death count was over 60, Pesquera said that the process of evaluating hurricane-related deaths is ongoing.

The issue of the death count has been a topic of concern; though the official number of deaths related to Hurricane Maria is 64, recent estimates by Puerto Rico’s Center for Investigative Journalism and The New York Times suggest the real number may be more than 1,000.

The creation of the group follows statements made by Gov. Rosselló on Dec. 18, ordering a review of deaths following the storm.

“We always expected that the number of hurricane-related deaths would increase as we received more factual information — not hearsay — and this review will ensure we are correctly counting everybody,” he said.

FOLLOW NBC LATINO ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM.


🕐 Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title 📊 i-Score
1 Second child reportedly dies of measles in Texas amid growing outbreak 🟢 85 / 100
2 Texas rocked by swarm of four earthquakes in less than six hours 🔴 75 / 100
3 Used Tesla Market Heats Up as Owners Sell to Protest Elon Musk 🔴 72 / 100
4 White House shares staggering number of countries who want to make deals on tariffs 🔴 72 / 100
5 Aetherflux raises $50 million for space-based solar power 🔴 65 / 100
6 Real life ITV Grace location hit by major blow as show makes huge return 🔵 60 / 100
7 Dame Amanda Blanc on the hunt for new BP chair 🔵 55 / 100
8 Arne Slot insists his Liverpool side are NOT getting complacent after the Reds suffered their second Premier League loss of the season 🔵 45 / 100
9 Paige DeSorbo of ‘Summer House’ Adds Author to Her Resume With ‘How to Giggle’ 🔵 45 / 100
10 SNL Pokes Fun at Morgan Wallen's Abrupt Exit to "God's Country" 🔵 35 / 100

View More Top News ➡️