ATHENS (Reuters) – Greek police began moving hundreds of migrants stranded on the island of Lesbos into a new temporary tent camp on Thursday, more than a week after a fire razed Greece’s biggest migrant camp where they had been staying.

The operation, including 70 female officers, was intended to protect public health, police said.

“The operation began with many officers in white body suits, things are calm and migrants are slowly streaming into the new camp,” a Reuters witness said.

The fire that gutted the Moria facility a week ago left over 12,000 people, most of them refugees from Afghanistan, Syria and various African countries, without shelter, proper sanitation or access to food and water.

Authorities said the fire was started by migrants. No one was hurt.

The new temporary tent camp at Kara Tepe, near the island’s port of Mytilene, is ready to take in at least 5,000 people.

Officials have said that some of the migrants are reluctant to move to the new camp as they hope to leave the island.

Early on Wednesday, only 1,200 had moved but late in the evening, large groups of migrants carrying their belongings started streaming in.

Government ministers said authorities would continue “for some more days in good faith and communication” to convince the migrants to enter the new camp, saying their transfer would be completed within a few days.

Reporting by Vassilis Triantafyllou, Writing by George Georgiopoulos; Editing by Robert Birsel

source: reuters.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here