UN accuses multiple countries of quietly sending arms to DR Congo

United Nations (United States) (AFP) – DR Congo’s military is receiving weapons and training from multiple countries without notifying the United Nations as required by a 2004 resolution, according to a recent report to the Security Council.

Some of the weapons have fallen into the hands of armed groups operating in the east of the country, warns the confidential report by UN experts that was obtained by AFP on Thursday.

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s east is one of Africa’s flashpoints, gripped by militia violence that has claimed more than 1,000 lives in a matter of months and caused more than half a million people to flee their homes.

The government in Kinshasa has in the past accused neighboring countries of seeking to destabilize it. These governments have in turn said that DR Congo, a vast country the size of western continental Europe, is a haven for groups that oppose them.

The UN experts are monitoring sanctions against the country that expire at the end of June.

The experts point to instructors and equipment from Albania, Romania, Turkey, South Africa, Israel, China, Iran, the United Kingdom, North Korea, Sudan and the United States, among others.

DR Congo and its military have not been subject to an arms embargo since 2008, though one still applies to armed groups.

However, the training of the military or delivery of arms to them remains subject to notification.

UN sanctions may also include travel bans and asset freezes.

The report noted that several countries “delivered significant quantities of arms, ammunition, equipment and military vehicles” to the military.

That included civilian helicopters transferred for military use, the report says.

“Over the last decade, a large part of the air logistics of FARDC (the military) relied on a fleet of foreign civilian-registered cargo carriers operating in contravention of international and national civil aviation norms and regulations,” it states.

“Some of the material delivered to FARDC was later diverted to armed groups in eastern” DR Congo, the report continues.

Chinese authorities have said they are investigating the claims, while Iran denied it had ever transferred any material to the DR Congo, igniting fears the equipment had been sent by a third party.

source: yahoo.com


πŸ• Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title πŸ“Š i-Score
1 South Korea's president has been removed from power: What happens now? πŸ”΄ 78 / 100
2 Major UK airport to DOUBLE its capacity – allowing 32M passengers a year πŸ”΄ 72 / 100
3 Man City launch fresh legal action against the Premier League – as they claim amended sponsorship rules 'discriminate' against them and give their rivals an unfair advantage πŸ”΄ 72 / 100
4 Trump offers backing for Marine Le Pen ahead of rally in Paris to show support for convicted politician – Europe live πŸ”΅ 55 / 100
5 Elton John shares major health update after sparking concern with devastating illness πŸ”΅ 45 / 100
6 Kevin De Bruyne to leave Manchester City at end of season: football – live πŸ”΅ 45 / 100
7 Dozens of tourists including Brits are injured when tour bus overturns in Thailand πŸ”΅ 45 / 100
8 Halo CE Mod Adds a New Way to Play Co-Op in the Worst Way Imaginable πŸ”΅ 42 / 100
9 Why the Mets are at baseball’s forefront in reviving the sinker πŸ”΅ 35 / 100
10 Val Kilmer's Family Breaks Silence Following His Death at 65 πŸ”΅ 30 / 100

View More Top News ➑️