Jay-Z’s $204 million arbitration case halted over lack of black arbitrators

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

Nov. 29, 2018 / 1:12 AM GMT

By Reuters

Jay-Z on Wednesday sued to halt his private arbitration with clothing company Iconix Brand Group Inc, saying the company’s inability to find an African-American arbitrator to hear the trademark dispute was unfair.

The multimillionaire rapper said in a petition filed in Manhattan Supreme Court that the lack of racial diversity among arbitrators at the American Arbitration Association (AAA) was discriminatory under New York’s state constitution and a New York City human rights law.

Iconix could not immediately be reached for comment, and a spokeswoman for the AAA declined to comment.

The dispute is the latest in a series of legal wranglings arising from Jay-Z’s 2007 sale of his Rocawear clothing brand to Iconix for about $204 million. Iconix has since written off almost the entire value of the brand, and in 2017 sued Jay-Z in Manhattan federal court over trademark rights. That case remains pending.

Jay-Z performs at Bercy stadium in Paris, on October 17, 2013.Benoit Tessier / Reuters file

In 2015, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, and Iconix settled some disputes, and agreed to address future claims in private arbitration, according to Jay-Z’s petition.

Last month, Iconix accused Jay-Z of breaching the 2015 settlement and demanded an AAA arbitration.

But Jay-Z said the AAA found only three potential African-American arbitrators, out of the hundreds it uses, for his case, and one already represented Iconix in related litigation.

He argued that the lack of “more than a token number of African-Americans” made the arbitration contract void.

“It would stand to reason that prospective litigants – which undoubtedly include minority owned and operated businesses – expect there to be the possibility that the person who stands in the shoes of both judge and jury reflects the diverse population,” the petition said.

Jay-Z, 48, is famous for songs including “Hard Knock Life,” “99 Problems” and “Big Pimpin’.”

The Brooklyn native has won 21 Grammy Awards, most recently in 2015 for Best R&B Song and Best R&B Performance for “Drunk in Love” with his wife, pop star Beyonce.

In May, a federal judge ordered him to respond to a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission subpoena related to the Rocawear sale.

The SEC said it was looking in to writedowns by Iconix, and wanted to ask Jay-Z about his personal involvement with the brand. (Reporting by Brendan Pierson in New York Editing by Matthew Lewis)


🕐 Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title 📊 i-Score
1 UN appalled by 'credible reports' of Sudan civilian killings 🔴 78 / 100
2 Ronin the rat sets new landmine-sniffing record 🔴 75 / 100
3 Mach CEO on building defense tech company in your 20s 🔴 75 / 100
4 Meta whistleblower’s testimony will show if Mark Zuckerberg, other execs ‘lied to Congress’ about China ties: Sen. Hawley 🔴 75 / 100
5 Prince Andrew wrote birthday letters to Xi Jinping, ex-adviser told court 🔴 72 / 100
6 Four space tourists return to Earth after a private flight over Earth's poles 🔴 70 / 100
7 Ja Morant fined $75,000 by NBA for repeated finger gun gestures 🔴 70 / 100
8 Russell Brand’s Net Worth: How Much Money the Comedian Has Now 🔴 65 / 100
9 Cash Isa rates hiked as high as 5.92% by Plum, Chip and CMC: Which is the new best buy? 🔵 60 / 100
10 Teenage rugby player has arm 'ripped from body' in tackle that changed his life 🔵 55 / 100

View More Top News ➡️