U.S. strike kills 18 al-Shabab militants in Somalia, military says

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

JOHANNESBURG β€” A U.S. military airstrike has killed 18 al-Shabab extremists after U.S. and local forces on the ground came under attack in southern Somalia, the U.S. Africa Command said Saturday.

No U.S. or Somali forces were killed or injured in the attack, an AFRICOM spokesman, Nate Herring, told The Associated Press. The airstrike was carried out Friday in self-defense after extremists were “observed maneuvering on a combined patrol,” while the U.S. also responded with “indirect fire,” the spokesman said.

The confrontation occurred about 31 miles northwest of the port city of Kismayo, the U.S. Africa Command statement said. Two other al-Shabab extremists were killed by Somali forces “with small arms fire during the engagement,” it said.

The operation was Somali-led, the AFRICOM spokesman said. There was no immediate comment from Somali authorities.

Al-Shabab fighters stand in formation with their weapons during military exercises on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia on Feb. 17, 2011.
Al-Shabab fighters stand in formation with their weapons during military exercises on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia on Feb. 17, 2011.Mohamed Sheikh Nor / AP, file

The U.S. has carried out more than 20 airstrikes this year against the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab, the deadliest Islamic extremist group in sub-Saharan Africa.

U.S. military involvement in Somalia has grown since President Donald Trump early in his term approved expanded operations against al-Shabab. Dozens of drone strikes followed. Late last year the military also carried out its first airstrike against a small presence of fighters linked to the Islamic State in northern Somalia.

Since the expanded operations, two U.S. military personnel have been killed in Somalia.

A service member was killed in May 2017 during an operation about 40 miles west of Mogadishu. And in June, one U.S. special operations soldier was killed and four U.S. service members wounded in an “enemy attack” as troops with Somali and Kenyan forces came under mortar and small-arms fire in Jubaland.

The U.S. currently has about 500 military personnel in the Horn of Africa nation.

Al-Shabab, which seeks to establish an Islamic state in Somalia, was pushed out of Mogadishu in recent years but continues to control rural areas in the south and central regions. Its fighters continue to attack the bases of a multinational African Union force that remains largely responsible for security as Somalia’s fragile central government tries to recover from decades of chaos.

In the next few years Somali forces are expected to take over responsibility for the country’s security as the AU force withdraws. Concerns about their readiness remain high, and the U.N. Security Council recently voted to delay the handover’s target date to December 2021.


πŸ• Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title πŸ“Š i-Score
1 UN appalled by 'credible reports' of Sudan civilian killings πŸ”΄ 78 / 100
2 Ronin the rat sets new landmine-sniffing record πŸ”΄ 75 / 100
3 Mach CEO on building defense tech company in your 20s πŸ”΄ 75 / 100
4 Four space tourists return to Earth after a private flight over Earth's poles πŸ”΄ 70 / 100
5 Ja Morant fined $75,000 by NBA for repeated finger gun gestures πŸ”΄ 70 / 100
6 Russell Brand’s Net Worth: How Much Money the Comedian Has Now πŸ”΄ 65 / 100
7 Teenage rugby player has arm 'ripped from body' in tackle that changed his life πŸ”΅ 55 / 100
8 Top 10 Robert Downey Jr movies ranked: He changed No 1’s script in most personal way πŸ”΅ 45 / 100
9 Russell Brand cancels daily show as he's charged with rape and sexual assault πŸ”΅ 45 / 100
10 Tom Hardy and Guy Ritchie reunite for gritty crime series 'MobLand' πŸ”΅ 35 / 100

View More Top News ➑️