Twitter temporarily restricts conspiracy theorist Alex Jones’ account

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

Twitter on Tuesday put temporary limits on the account of Alex Jones, a move that marks the latest restriction by a Silicon Valley company on the controversial conspiracy theorist and radio host.

Twitter confirmed to NBC News that Jones’ Twitter account was put in read-only mode as of Tuesday, meaning that he can browse Twitter posts but can’t interact with them and can’t tweet himself. The restrictions, which were earlier reported by the tech news site CNET, are scheduled to last seven days.

The company said that Jones, who runs the website InfoWars, violated a Twitter policy and was required to delete an offending tweet in which he told his listeners to get “battle rifles” ready.

Watch Lester Holt’s interview with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey on NBC Nightly News on Wednesday night.

Facebook, YouTube and Apple earlier this month took steps to remove Jones from their services.

Jones has been criticized for conspiracy theories including falsely claiming that the 2012 mass killing at Sandy Hook Elementary School was staged. Jones is being sued for defamation related to the claim.

Facebook said in early August it removed four pages belonging to Jones “for repeatedly posting content over the past several days that breaks [the company’s] Community Standards.”

YouTube said in terminating Jones’ main account, which had 2.4 million followers, that all users agree to comply with the site’s terms of service and community guidelines, and that “When users violate these policies repeatedly, like our policies against hate speech and harassment or our terms prohibiting circumvention of our enforcement measures, we terminate their accounts.”

Apple and Spotify both removed Jones’ podcasts from their respective services. Over the weekend, video hosting service Vimeo removed two accounts belonging to Infowars.com for violating its terms of service, Variety reported.

Twitter has not booted Jones off the social media network. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey said when the other companies took steps to remove accounts linked to him that Jones had not violated any of Twitter’s rules.


🕐 Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title 📊 i-Score
1 'Time to increase pressure on Moscow,' Ukrainian minister says 🔴 78 / 100
2 How Trump’s Tariffs Could Hobble a U.S. Battery Boom 🔴 75 / 100
3 Brit tourist lashes out at 'rip off' fee for a sachet of HP sauce in Benidorm… and is ridiculed online 🔴 72 / 100
4 The future of luxury travel: Near-supersonic jet that can fly from London to New York at speeds 'not seen since Concorde' features a full-size kitchen, cinema, and an anti-jetlag lighting system 🔴 65 / 100
5 Piers Morgan sparks fury with fans on Donald Trump's global tariffs verdict 🔴 65 / 100
6 Spain could include Camp Nou final in bid to host 2035 Rugby World Cup 🔴 62 / 100
7 Adam Devine Recalls Being Told He Was Dying Last Year 🔵 60 / 100
8 Ancient DNA sheds light on origins of 7,000-year-old Saharan mummies 🔵 55 / 100
9 Nvidia Finally Spills The Beans On What's Powering The Switch 2, Promises '10x' Graphics Performance Of Original Switch 🔵 52 / 100
10 USA Fencing disqualifies female fencer for refusing to fight trans opponent 🔵 45 / 100

View More Top News ➡️