This is the best proof yet Windows Phone is dead

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates has ditched the mobile operating system his company built – Windows Phone – in favour of rival Android.

Gates revealed the move to Android during an interview with Fox News Sunday.

The 61-year-old multi-billionaire did not reveal what model Android smartphone he had opted for – although most rumours point to the Samsung Galaxy S8.

Gates said he was using an Android device with “a lot of Microsoft software” on it, which suggests it is the special , which comes bundled with a slew of the company’s software.

Microsoft started to sell this special edition Samsung Galaxy S8 in its retail stores earlier this year.

The handset comes preinstalled with a load of Microsoft apps, including Office, OneDrive, Cortana, and Outlook.

Obviously, these Microsoft apps can be installed on any Android phone around – but the Microsoft Edition has everything you’d need straight out of the box.

Whether Bill Gates is using a Samsung Galaxy S8 or another Android phone, one thing is abundantly clear – he still has no interest in the iPhone.

The renown philanthropists famously banned iPhones and iPods in his home in the past.

Although, he does admit Steve Jobs was a “genius” in the Fox News Sunday interview.

Microsoft has slowly wound-down its mobile efforts, with the US technology company , Windows Phone 8.1, earlier this summer.

Those who want to ensure their Microsoft smartphone is updated with the latest security patches and features should upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile, Microsoft said.

Rumours that Microsoft is secretly working on an all-new flagship smartphone, the so-called Surface Phone, have swirled around online for years.

Microsoft General Manager for Surface Ryan Gavin offered smartphone fans an intriguing tidbit about the long-rumoured device last year.

Mr Gavin was speaking to Business Insider about the latest refreshes to the Surface line-up, which included an overhauled Surface Pro, brand-new Surface Laptop and desktop behemoth, Surface Studio.

However there is clearly something missing from Microsoft’s impressive array of in-house devices – arguably the most important personal computing device of all, the smartphone.

Rumours of a high-end smartphone built by Corporate VP for Surface Computing Panos Panay and the team behind the Surface Pro 4, Surface Book and Surface Studio are nothing new.

Back in December 2015, it was reported that Microsoft had green-lit a Surface Phone for release in late 2016.

Sources claimed Intel was heavily involved with the project and that it aimed to make a smartphone that bridged the gap between a phone and a mobile productivity device.

Many believe Microsoft still plans to launch its own smartphone.

And should the Redmond company ever decide to add a smartphone to its Surface range, we can be sure that it “will not resemble what we know and think of as a phone today,” Mr Gavin told Business Insider.

CEO Satya Nadella made a similar comment back in November 2016.

Speaking to the Australian Financial Review, he said: “We will continue to be in the phone market not as defined by today’s market leaders, but by what it is that we can uniquely do in what is the most ultimate mobile device.

“We don’t want to be driven by just envy of what others have, the question is, what can we bring?

“That’s where I look at any device form factor or any technology, even AI.”

Microsoft has never formally acknowledged the existence of a Surface Phone, although it has made several hints.


🕐 Top News in the Last Hour By Importance Score

# Title 📊 i-Score
1 This is the REAL cause of the explosion of autism and depression: Top psychiatrist DR ALISTAIR SANTHOUSE delivers his damning verdict… and reveals the only answer 🟢 85 / 100
2 Can Using the Light Phone III Help Cure ‘Brain Rot’? 🔴 80 / 100
3 Holidaymakers heading for 30 countries warned over April 2 rule change 🔴 75 / 100
4 Canadian police arrest suspect who barricaded himself inside Parliament amid hours-long lockdown 🔴 72 / 100
5 UK foreign secretary criticises Israel for denying two Labour MPs entry 🔴 72 / 100
6 Inside Elon's downfall as Trump's right-hand… and the meeting that caused the president to blow a fuse 🔴 65 / 100
7 Sky News halted for breaking announcement in damning blow to Keir Starmer 🔵 50 / 100
8 After “The White Lotus,” Lorazepam Lives On in Memes and Merch 🔵 45 / 100
9 Meet the Everton flop who owned a pet zebra, was caught red-handed with a stripper by a private detective before being 'snitched on' by a Toffees team-mate 🔵 35 / 100
10 Nintendo made its own Switch emulator… for the Nintendo Switch 2 🔵 35 / 100

View More Top News ➡️