Erik ten Hag has hinted that Antony could make his return to first-team action on Tuesday when Manchester United host Galatasaray in the Champions League.
The Brazilian forward is yet to make an appearance for the Red Devils since the 3-1 defeat to Arsenal on September 3, after being put on fully-paid leave following allegations he attacked three women.
He met with the Greater Manchester Police on Thursday voluntarily, before heading home under no restrictions, having been neither detained nor arrested.
Antony was pictured in first-team training for the first time since his absence at the weekend at Carrington, as h seemingly prepares for an impending return.
When asked about the ex-Ajax winger on Monday, Ten Hag revealed: ‘Antony will be in consideration but yesterday was his first time back in team training. We have a final training, then we’ll make a decision.’
Erik ten Hag hinted that Antony could make a return against Galatasaray on Tuesday in the Champions League
Manchester United winger Antony has been pictured back in training with the squad
Antony was in attendance as Man United fell to a 1-0 defeat to Crystal Palace on Saturday
Your browser does not support iframes.
‘I can confirm, yeah. Licha Martinez will undergo surgery and the team news is Antony can probably return,’ he added.
The Dutchman also confirmed that Antony had co-operated with the police ‘fully’ and was released under no restrictions, stating: ‘Antony co-operated fully and it came out, he’s not charged, so.’
The club had already confirmed that he would be reintegrated into the first-team, and that the women’s side had also been informed of his returning to training.
United said in a statement that Antony’s situation ‘will be kept under review pending further developments in the case’.
The statement read: ‘Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has cooperated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so.
‘As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case.
‘As a club we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.’
However, Antony’s former partner Gabriela Cavallin broke her silence having levelled allegations of abuse at the player, with a press release issued after his return to Carrington.
The Brazilian’s potential return to action comes at a time when United are struggling for form
Gabriela Cavallin has broken her silence since his return to Manchester United training
‘Gabriela Cavallin’s attorneys inform that the crimes committed by the player are still being investigated by the Manchester Police and also the Brazilian Police, which is why we believe that he will soon be sent to Court, where he will have to face a trial,’ a press release read.
‘It seems obvious to us that fallacies would be created with the intention that the team bring him back to training.’
The player gave an emotionally charged interview in his native Brazil earlier in September to deny all the allegations levelled at him.
Speaking to Brazilian TV channel SBT, Antony said: ‘I know the truth and it will come out. I know many are butchering me, but the truth always comes out.
‘I’m 100 per cent sure I’ve never touched a woman, and I’ll come up with the evidence. I have never assaulted and I will never assault.
‘I’m sure I’ve never committed physical violence. I have a mother, a sister, and I would never want this to happen to them.’
Antony’s potential return to the team comes at a time when the Red Devils are struggling for form having lost once again at the weekend.
Ten Hag’s side have won just two of their last six in all competitions, including a bruising loss to Bayern Munich in their Champions League opener.
The Brazilian was in attendance on Saturday as United fell to a shock home loss to Crystal Palace, losing 1-0 against the side that they had put three past four days earlier at the same ground in the Carabao Cup.
Altay Bayindir could be in line for a first start since signing for Manchester United this summer
While Antony is in line to make a return to the squad, Ten Hag has also revealed that new signing Altay Bayindir will feature against Galatasaray.
‘You will see [Bayindir play tomorrow],’ Ten Hag revealed. ‘But we chose in the League Cup to play Andre [Onana] because he [Bayindir] has to adapt to the England standard.
‘That’s why we preferred Andre to play. But also we have to progress Altay, that’s clear. He’s made a very good impression in training and he’s really developing, so we’re really happy with it.
‘We are convinced we have the two right goalkeepers in the squad to do the job for us.’
IT’S ALL KICKING OFF!
It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football.
It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube, Apple Music and Spotify.
Your browser does not support iframes.