Man Utd axe Jadon Sancho from main training group as club break silence on Ten Hag saga

Manchester United have officially confirmed that Jadon Sancho will be training away from the main first-team group until further notice. The 23-year-old landed himself in hot water before the international break when he accused Erik ten Hag of lying over the reasons for his absence from the United squad that faced Arsenal.

Ten Hag explained that Sancho was fully fit to play against the Gunners but was omitted due to his displays in training, a claim that was strongly refuted by the player himself on social media. The post, which has since been deleted by Sancho, was said to have infuriated Ten Hag and United have come down hard on the winger by axing him from regular first-team training.

A brief club statement released on Thursday reads: “Jadon Sancho will remain on a personal training programme away from the first-team group, pending resolution of a squad discipline issue.”

Sancho claimed on X, formerly Twitter, that he was being made a ‘scapegoat’ for United’s problems and accused Ten Hag of not being entirely truthful. The post’s deletion came as a hint that progress was being made behind the scenes, but it seems as though the matter is not yet resolved as far as the Red Devils are concerned.

Ten Hag is yet to speak publicly on the matter since explaining his reasons for leaving Sancho out of the squad that lost to Arsenal earlier this month. He is likely to be quizzed on the topic in his press conference on Friday before United’s next game against Brighton at Old Trafford the following afternoon.

It remains to be seen whether there will be a way back for Sancho, who will now be tasked with convincing Ten Hag that he can still be a worthy member of his squad. His future with the Red Devils appears to be uncertain, with his manager thought to have felt particularly let down after giving him time off to work on his physical and mental wellbeing last season.

Former England striker Darren Bent recently suggested that Sancho’s time at United may already be up, with his social media outburst potentially marking the end of his Old Trafford career.

Bent told talkSPORT: “If he had the intention of staying at Manchester United, of wanting to stay at the club, or had a burning desire to stay, you do it in-house.

“You go to the manager’s office and you say ‘look, I don’t really like what you did there, if my training standards are not good enough, then just tell me’. I’m sure he’s told him before and then we will try and deal with it, but the fact he went public tells me he wants out of there.

“He’s had enough. Maybe the challenge is too big for him, which is a shame because he’s got a lot of ability, he’s got talent. Maybe the Premier League is too quick for him.”

Want the latest Premier League news as we publish it on Express Sport? Join our Facebook group by clicking here.

source: express.co.uk