William Tyrrell’s foster mother urges release of any evidence police suggest they have against her

William Tyrrell’s foster mother has called on New South Wales police to confirm whether they have advised prosecutors to charge her over the toddler’s disappearance in 2014.

The commentary by her legal team follows media reports that detectives had sent a brief of evidence to the Director of Public Prosecutions alleging William’s foster mother covered up the accidental death of three-year-old Tyrrell who is missing and presumed dead.

NSW police have not confirmed the reports and when asked about the claims said: “There are no updates in relation to this matter, the investigation is ongoing.”

In a statement, the foster mother’s lawyer, Sharon Ramsden, said on Wednesday that police had not informed her client or her legal team that evidence had been sent to prosecutors.

Ramsden urged prosecutors to “expeditiously determine whether charges are to be laid”.

“The foster mother and her legal representatives call for disclosure of the evidence which police suggest forms the basis of any criminal proceedings,” the lawyer said.

“To date, William’s body has never been found. The foster mother has always, and maintains, she has nothing to do with William’s disappearance. She desperately urges the police to resume the investigation into finding out what happened to William.”

Tyrrell was reported missing by his foster mother from a family member’s home in Kendall on 12 September 2014.

In November last year, fresh evidence revived the investigation and triggered a new search for the toddler’s remains.

Police were understood to be focussing on a person of interest in the case and exploring the possibility William fell from the balcony of the Kendall home.

source: theguardian.com