Presumed human remains found after Titan submersible wreckage pulled from sea

The US Coast Guard believes it has recovered human remains from the wreckage of the Titan submersible.

The vessel was pulled from the seabed days after it imploded on its way down to the Titanic wreckage, around two miles below sea level.

US medical officials will now conduct formal analysis of the remains, which were discovered when the craft was recovered on Wednesday, June 28.

British adventurer Hamish Harding and father and son Shahzada and Suleman Dawood were killed on board the deep-sea vessel, alongside OceanGate Expeditions’ chief executive, Stockton Rush, and French national Paul-Henri Nargeolet when the Titan imploded during a dive to the wreck of the Titanic earlier this month.

In a statement, Captain Jason Neubauer, Chair of the Marine Board of Investigation said: “I am grateful for the coordinated international and interagency support to recover and preserve this vital evidence at extreme offshore distances and depths.

“The evidence will provide investigators from several international jurisdictions with critical insights into the cause of this tragedy.

“There is still a substantial amount of work to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of the Titan and help ensure a similar tragedy does not occur again.”

Large pieces of debris from Titan were transported to St John’s harbour on Wednesday by the Horizon Arctic ship, where it was seen being unloaded by a crane.

Speaking after the evidence was recovered, the Marine Board of Investigation’s chairman, Captain Jason Neubauer, said: “The evidence will provide investigators from several international jurisdictions with critical insights into the cause of this tragedy.

“There is still a substantial amount of work to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of the Titan and help ensure a similar tragedy does not occur again.”

source: express.co.uk