High-profile NRL star is hit with a new charge as he fronts court for allegedly raping a woman in Brisbane last year
A well-known NRL player accused of raping a woman in Brisbane is expected to face a further sexual assault charge later this month, a court has heard.
The footballer did not appear before Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday when his matter was brought before Deputy Magistrate Anthony Gett.
In court documents, police allege the man raped a woman at a venue in Fortitude Valley in Brisbane in December last year.
Daily Mail Australia is not able to name the man under Queensland laws prohibiting the identification of people charged with sexual assault or rape offences before they’re committed to a higher court.
Director of Public Prosecutions prosecutor Aisling Kennedy said on Monday the man was also facing a sexual assault charge in connection to the allegations before the court.
The player – who cannot be named for legal reasons – will have his new charge mentioned at Brisbane Magistrates Court (pictured)
She said that charge would be mentioned for the first time before Brisbane Magistrates Court on March 15.
‘The DPP does intend to take carriage of this matter,’ Ms Kennedy said.
Mr Gett adjourned the man’s case to April 24 to allow the brief of evidence be prepared for the rape charge and the DPP to transfer the sexual assault matter to its department.
The man remains on bail.