Disgraced ex-congressman Anthony Weiner returned to Twitter for the first time in nine years to ask for advice on how to stage a comeback.
Weiner, 57, whose sexting with a 15-year-old girl led to a conviction as as sex offender, put out a poll on Twitter about the best way to announce his return as he seeks to promote his radio shows on 77 WABC.
‘Advice for returning to Twitter,’ Weiner wrote, giving voters three choices: ‘Update your bio and run, act like nothing happened, and just don’t.’
With more than 10,000 votes as of Saturday, nearly 65 percent of people advised the man who once called himself ‘Carlos Danger’ to stay off Twitter.
Anthony Weiner (pictured), who resigned as a congressman following a series of sexting scandals, returned to Twitter for the first time in nine years
The disgraced Democrat asked for advice on how best to stage a comeback, but nearly 65 percent of the more than 10,000 people who voted so far said he should stay out
Weiner had shocked the world with his constant sexting scandals, with one photo he shared depicting his crotch while lying next to his sleeping, then-four-year-old son.
The scandal-plagued Democrat admitted that social media was not the best place for him, but he thought he’d give it a shot to promote his shows, ‘The Middle with Anthony Weiner,’ and ‘The Left Versus The Right,’ which he co-hosts with Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa.
‘Social media is not a comfortable place for me and I am deeply ambivalent about its place in my life and the role it has had on society,’ Weiner told Fox News, ‘but if you want people to know about a radio show you are doing, it is helpful.’
But if the poll and comments are any clear indicator, Twitter is not ready to welcome back Weiner, who resigned in 2010 after he accidentally tweeted a picture of himself in his underwear.
The former congressman had initially blamed the photo on a hack before admitting he sent the pic, and after running for mayor of New York City in 2013, Weiner admitted to sharing illicit photos with at least three women.
Many were shocked – including his ex-wife, former Hilary Clinton aide Huma Abedin – to see that among the messages he sent to other women included a picture of his crotch while lying next to his sleeping, then-four-year-old son.
Then in 2016, a 15-year-old girl told DailyMail.com that Weiner had been sending sexually explicit messages to her for months.
Federal investigators confirmed he had been sexting the minor and watching her strip via Skype and Snapchat, leading to a conviction of 21 months in prison in 2017.
The saga of Weiner’s downfall was heavily covered by the media, so many were quick to remember his story when they advised him to stay off Twitter.
Weiner (left) said he wanted to get a feel for how to best promote his radio shows The Middle with Anthony Weiner,’ and ‘The Left Versus The Right,’ which he co-hosts with Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa (right)
Many on social media said Twitter was not the best place for Weiner to be, as his accidentally tweeting of a shirtless photo of him cascaded into his sexting scandal
One Twitter user with the handle Zacherie Smith pointed out the obvious, writing, ‘Isn’t Twitter how you got in trouble?’
Another user with the name Sky echoed many of the comments and simply wrote, ‘Buddy this is a terrible idea.’
A Twitter user with the handle John reminded Weiner that his last attempt at a Twitter comeback in 2012 was unsuccessful and mocked by former President Donald Trump.
‘Bruh. Just don’t,’ John tweeted. ‘It didn’t work out well for you last time you returned either.’
Trump had taken a jab at the disgraced Democrat when Weiner announced his return to Twitter in 2012, writing, ‘Pervert alert. @RepWeiner is back on twitter. All girls under the age of 18, block him immediately.’
Others on the social media platform urged Weiner to stay on Twitter, not to stage a comeback, but to see yet another scandal.
‘I love a good train wreck,’ twitter user Rachael Vance wrote.