Rat run! Bizarre moment rodent takes short cut through NYC dog park and sparks chaos among excited pets
- The rodent realized he was in trouble almost right away as he attempts to dodge a hoard of curious canines
- The incident occurred in Tompkins Square dog park in Manhattan on Monday
- The dog that threw the rat into the air with her mouth did not get sick as a result of her close encounter
A rat sparked chaos in a New York City park after it decided to take a short cut through a dog run full of excited canines.
The video, posted on Twitter on May 24 by a user named @Dinforwars, shows the rat meandering through the dusty Tompkins Square Dog Run in St. Mark’s Place in Manhattan.
A black bulldog-type dog can be seen running alongside the rat and nuzzling it as the rat realizes that he’s in trouble.
When the bulldog’s owner pulls the canine away, the rat wanders in the path of another dog who opens his mouth up wide to bite the rodent. That dog shakes the rat in his mouth and tosses it up in the air.
That prompts the dog’s owner, who has been christened ‘grey hoodie guy,’ in the comments, to stop his dog from finishing off the rat.
Just when the rat thought that he was safe he found himself staring into the face of a 4-year-old Jindo Mix rescue dog named Zoey
Owner scurried to prevent their dogs from getting a piece of the rat
‘Grey hoodie guy’ has been christened as the hero of the day as he saved the rat’s live and prevented his dog, Zoey, from getting sick as a result of the interaction
Eventually the owners were able to get their pets under control after the excitement of seeing the rat
He then stands in front of his dog, commanding her not to go any closer to the unwelcome visitor.
At this point, most of the dog owners have successfully corralled their pets, allowing the rat to make a hasty, hobbling exit.
The creature appears to have been injured, and it’s unclear if it survived its encounter with the dogs.
The clip is beautifully scored by late New York City jazz singer Blossom Dearie’s song: ‘The Say it’s Spring.’
The dog that took the bite out of the rat and threw it up in the air is named, Zoey, a friend of the owner told DailyMail.com.
‘Grey hoodie guy’ aka Jonah assured those who were concerned that Zoey didn’t get sick from the having the rat in her mouth
Many in the comments section of the original video were worried that Zoey, a 4-year-old Jindo Mix that was a Korean rescue, would get sick from biting the rat.
The dog’s owner posted a photo holding a sign assuring those who were concerned that Zoey did not get sick as a result of her encounter.
At least one person asked in the comments asked if ‘grey hoodie guy’ aka Jonah, a tech advisor to startups, was single. He is not but our source said: ‘Even though he’s taken… there’s no ring on the finger yet.’
According to VetWest, if your dog does eat a rat it is a cause for concern as dogs can suffer from infection from intestinal worms and/or toxoplasmosis as well as the possibility of suffering from secondary rat bait poisoning.