Bubble and squeak is on everyone’s radar around Christmas and it is a great way to use up leftover potatoes, sprouts and cabbage for Boxing Day morning. Here are all the recipe details you need to cook the family favourite dish.
One tbsp duck fat, goose fat or butter
Four rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
One onion, finely sliced
One garlic clove, chopped
15-20 cooked Brussels sprouts, sliced, or leftover boiled cabbage, shredded
400g cold leftover mashed potato, or cold crushed boiled potatoes
1. Melt one tbsp duck fat, goose fat or butter in a non-stick pan, allow it to get nice and hot, then add four chopped streaky bacon rashers. As it begins to brown, add one finely sliced onion and one chopped garlic clove.
2. Next, add 15-20 sliced cooked Brussels sprouts or shredded boiled cabbage and let it colour slightly. All this will take five to six minutes.
3. Add 400g cold mashed potato. Work everything together in the pan and push it down so that the mixture covers the base of the pan.
4. Allow the mixture to catch slightly on the base of the pan before turning it over and doing the same again. It’s the bits of potato that catch in the pan that define the term ‘bubble and squeak’, so be brave and let the mixture colour.
5. Cut into wedges and serve.
House of Fraser on Oxford Street closes after 142 years [NEWS]
Prince Charles to be a ‘driven & intellectual King’ body language says [COMMENT]
Gregory Porter explains why he still wears a hat [INTERVIEW]
If you’ve cooked to much and in the unlikelihood it doesn’t get eaten, this dish is freezable.
The recipe is popular with BBC Good Food readers with many leaving comments below the recipe.
One said: “Absolutely delicious! Will definitely make again.”
“Absolutely delicious. Included leftover shredded cabbage, peas, carrots and green beans. Also seasoned with a little salt and a generous grind of pepper. Everyone wanted seconds,” someone else wrote.
A third said: “This is the best bubble and squeak that I’ve made. The addition of onion and bacon (pancetta in this instance) was really tasty.”
Other bubble and squeak recipes include leftover turkey.
Some even top the dish with a fried egg.