Midfielder Naby Keita FINALLY boards a plane out of Guinea following Liverpool’s round-the-clock efforts to fly him back after Coup d’etat plunged the country into chaos and forced postponement of World Cup qualifier
- Liverpool star Naby Keita has boarded a flight out of his homeland Guinea
- A Coup d’etat against the country’s president saw their Morocco game called off
- The Morocco team were forced to stay in their hotel before being evacuated
- Liverpool worked to get Keita to Merseyside in a ‘timely and secure manner’
Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita has finally boarded a flight back to the UK following a military coup in his homeland Guinea in which soldiers claimed they have detained the country’s president.
Keita and the rest of the Guinea national team had been in Conakry, the country’s capital, with the former RB Leipzig star having joined up with his country for the ongoing the international break.
But while the Morocco team, who they were due to play in a World Cup qualifier on Monday, were evacuated on Sunday due to the situation, there was no such immediate escape for Keita and his team-mates.
Naby Keita has boarded a flight back to the UK from Guinea after a Coup d’etat there
A Coup d’Etat by Guinea’s armed forces led to a Guinea v Morocco qualifier being postponed
The country’s president Alpha Conde was pictured surrounded by armed soldiers after apparently being detained and removed from power
As a result, Liverpool were in touch with the relevant authorities for Keita’s safe return, and the midfielder is now finally on his way back to play for his club.
Liverpool were anxious for Keita to return to Merseyside as soon as possible and club officials, including manager Jurgen Klopp, spoke to him regularly over the last 48 hours.
The club were reassured that the 26-year-old was safe and can now safely relax as he is on his way out of Guinea, according to journalist Carl Markham.
Enormous crowds welcomed the armed forces into the Guinean capital city of Conakry
The soldiers said they’d overthrown the government and suspended the country’s constitution
The qualifier against Morocco was postponed when soldiers attempted an uprising in the Conakry on Sunday, resulting in the closing of the nation’s borders.
Vahid Halilhodzic, the coach of Morocco, told French newspaper L’Equipe that ‘gunshots could be heard (in Conakry) all day’.
Borders and airports in Guinea remained closed and there were concerns over when the No 8 would be able to travel.
Earlier this week, a Liverpool spokesperson said. ‘We are satisfied that he is safe and well cared for.
‘The situation is fluid and we will maintain regular dialogue with the relevant authorities as we work to get Naby back to Liverpool in a timely and secure manner.’
Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp had been in regular contact with Keita to ensure his safe return
Morocco coach Halilhodzic described hearing the sound of gunfire ‘all day’ from the hotel