A Florida mother is warning parents just how easy it is for children to accidentally overdose on marijuana after her own six-year-old daughter found a family friend’s THC gummy and — seeing the child-friendly packaging — ate it.
Morgan McCoy, 39, shared the story of ‘one of the scariest moments of my life’ on Facebook last week, explaining how her child managed to find the legally-purchased marijuana gummy tucked away in a drawer of clothes.
Morgan soon found her little girl non-responsive and seizing and, after a frantic ambulance trip, spent the night by her hospital bed.
Now the concerned mother is demanding regulation for legal marijuana packaging, insisting that ‘my daughter wouldn’t have looked twice at it’ if the bag hadn’t been purposefully designed to look like a Hawaiian Punch-flavored treat.
Dangerous: A Florida six-year-old daughter found a family friend’s THC gummy and — seeing the child-friendly packaging — ate it, sending her to the hospital
Morgan McCoy, 39, shared the story of ‘one of the scariest moments of my life’ on Facebook last week
Morgan’s story details how marijuana gummies can be legally purchased and carefully hidden and still end up in the stomachs of children.
She, her husband, and their children when to visit her in-laws in Jacksonville during Memorial Day weekend, and were joined by several other friends and their families.
‘We are a group of legal, medical marijuana patients. Not one iota of this product was illegally purchased to my knowledge. I have never seen it before,’ she stressed.
At her in-laws’ house, a family friend was staying in the room where Morgan and her kids usually sleep when they visit.
That friend, who has two children of their own, had taken an unexpected, fully-clothed dip in the pool, during which time they had a bag with a gummy in their pocket.
When they went to change out of their wet clothes, they put them — and the gummy — in a bag in the dresser drawer in their room.
Unfortunately, that’s where Morgan’s six-year-old found it.
‘My candy-wh*re of a daughter went in looking for HER clothes, because this is the room she normally stays in,’ Morgan wrote. ‘She came across the bag and, like any 6 year old would… She ate the candy.’
Scary: Her daughter was found unresponsive and seizing and had to be rushed by ambulance to the hospital, where she spent the night
Appealing: Morgan says her daughter wouldn’t have eaten it if it hadn’t looked so kid-friendly
Several hours passed, and nothing seemed amiss — until another parent raised the alarm.
‘All of a sudden the parent came outside and told me that my daughter may have taken a THC gummy,’ Morgan said.
‘I ran inside and calmly picked her up and moved her from the ground to the couch. She couldn’t open her eyes, she was completely non-responsive and when I laid her down she kind of braced herself like she felt like she was falling.
‘I turned around and yelled for my MIL to call 911… she asked if she was okay, and as I turned back around, she was on her knees seizing. I grabbed her and ran outside and just paced back and forth waiting for the ambulance to arrive (crying uncontrollably and crying out to God of course).’
Morgan spent the night with her daughter at the hospital, where doctors could only monitor her and give her fluids.
‘I was up all night with my husband watching those machines. Her breaths per minute would drop to single digits at times, her heart rate would shoot up to alarming levels at others,’ she said.
‘It was one of the scariest moments of my life and I never want another parent to go through that. The next one may not be so lucky.’
While fatal overdoses of marijuana are ‘unlikely,’ according to the CDC, overdoses are entirely possible, and can include symptoms of anxiety, paranoia, panic, fast heart rate, delusions or hallucinations, increased blood pressure, and severe nausea or vomiting.
Warning: She pointed to similar products from Faded Fruits, like this cotton candy-flavored gummy, which has colorful, child-like packaging
Morgan went on to say that she wanted to be ‘abundantly clear’ that she didn’t think the parent who had the gummy did anything wrong — and that it could happen to anyone.
Her issue is with the packaging for the gummies, which doesn’t make it clear enough that it contains drugs and is much too appealing to children.
‘No one was arrested, DCF cleared the case in 3 minutes and was shocked at the picture of the candy,’ she said. ‘Had the packaging been what it should be and not this bulls***, my daughter wouldn’t have looked twice at it.’
She continued: ‘There needs to be regulation in place to keep companies from putting stuff like this on the market. We don’t have federal regulation over marijuana because our government won’t legalize it. ‘
Morgan called government representatives, including Florida Senator Rick Scott, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, and Florida Senator Marco Rubio, as well as the Bureau of Consumer Protection, the California Atty General, The US Attorney General, The US Department of Agriculture, and the Florida Health Department.
‘Every single agency I managed to get a hold of today pointed me somewhere else. There is NO ONE in charge of this?!?!?!’ she wrote.
Like this! She called for all packaging to be more clearly marked as drugs and not appealing to kids, like this
‘There needs to be regulation in place to keep companies from putting stuff like this on the market,’ she said
She also noted that the company that makes the Hawaiian Punch-flavored gummies, Faded Fruits, makes similar flavors with fun packaging like cotton candy and Sour Patch Kids.
‘In my eyes, this company is guilty of not only negligence but child endangerment on a national scale. And so is our country if we continue to stand idly by,’ she said. ‘THC is a MEDICATION and needs to be packaged as such. Period.’
Speaking to the Today show, Morgan added: ‘If we have marijuana packaged like candy, children are far more likely to eat it than if it were packaged like medication, which is what it is.
‘It’s a drug and all of our drugs are packaged in childproof stuff, even vitamins and children’s Tylenol.
‘Every adult I showed it to was like, “I would have eaten that.” I truly think it’s something to do with this packaging. If I see candy, I’m going to eat it if I am six years old.’
In fact, since her story went viral, Morgan tells DailyMail.com that three parents have reached out to share similar experiences, including one whose 18-month-old toddler mistook weed candy for regular candy and spent three days in the ICU.
DailyMail.com has reached out to Faded Fruits for comment.