Paris Saint-Germain’s squad are to receive 24-hour security at the expense of the club in wake of burglaries on the homes of Angel Di Maria and Marquinhos.
French outlet L’Equipe reported on Monday that while many in the first team squad possess video surveillance at their homes, security guards will be hired to provide them and their families with even greater protection.
Di Maria was taken off during PSG’s 2-1 defeat to Nantes after it was relayed to boss Mauricio Pochettino that there had been a ‘violent burglary’ at his family home in the French capital.
A second burglary, at the family house of Marquinhos, occurred in the same evening and the defender’s father Marcos Barros Correa is reported to have been struck in the face, chest and ribs by intruders as they stole items from the home.
This is the extraordinary moment that Angel Di Maria (left) was taken off the pitch during PSG’s game with Nantes after his boss Mauricio Pochettino (right) learned that his player’s house had been burgled and then had to tell him the awful news on the touchline
Di Maria is pictured with his wife Jorgelina Cardoso and his two young daughters, who were said to have been caught up in the ‘violent burglary’ at his Paris family home on Sunday night
Marquinhos’ (second from left) had his parents’ home burgled and reports in France stated that his father Marcos (pictured centre in white) was struck in the face, chest and ribs by intruders
A statement on the centre back’s Instagram confirmed the burglary but said family are all OK
Kylian Mbappe and Neymar, the two stars of this PSG team, already employ security at their own cost but the club will now, for the time being, ensure all players are adequately protected.
French prosecutors confirmed they have launched an investigation into the burglaries and whether they are linked.
Nanterre prosecutor’s office secretary general Marion Chalaux confirmed burglars had gained access to Di Maria’s lavish family home in the Neuilly-sur-Seine suburb of Paris before stealing as much as €500,000 worth of items.
News of the attack on the Di Maria home first emerged when PSG sporting director Leonardo was seen on his phone during the second half against Nantes.
After a brief discussion with manager Pochettino, Di Maria was replaced by Leandro Paredes after 62 minutes.
The former Tottenham manager then had a word in the ear of his winger before walking with him towards the dressing room and later coming back out by himself.
French publication RMC reported that members of Di Maria’s family were present at his home during the burglary – and some reports extended to say they were held hostage.
RMC reported that the incident had turned ‘extremely violent’. Spanish outlet Marca later added that the family were unharmed but were held hostage.
The contents of the upstairs safe were stolen and a specialised robbery unit was dispatched to the address in Neuilly-sur Seine to investigate.
Di Maria is said to have quickly left the Parc Des Princes after hearing about the burglary at his home.
His team-mates were informed after the match and were left ‘shocked’ by news of the incident.
PSG sporting director Leonardo learned of the news on his phone while sat in the stands
RMC added that there had also been a robbery at the home of the parents of Di Maria’s team-mate Marquinhos.
The Brazilian defender also played in the match on Sunday night, but he was not substituted and played the full 90 minutes.
It’s not the first time Di Maria and his family have been targeted by thieves, after his home was broken into by burglars in England while he was playing for Manchester United.
A gang of three armed thugs were reported to have used metal scaffolding poles in an attempt to break through patio doors at the Argentine’s mansion in Cheshire.
It was said at the time he was eating dinner with his wife Jorgelina Cardoso and his first-born daughter when the terrifying raid unfolded.
Di Maria is the latest PSG star to fall victim to burglary with news of a Mauro Icardi’s home being hit by thieves back in January.
French newspaper L’Equipe reported that the striker had £350,000 worth of items stolen while away with his team for their clash with FC Lorient.
He (top centre) then relayed it to Pochettino (bottom centre), who swiftly substituted Di Maria
Di Maria is said to have immediately left the Parc Des Princes after hearing about the news; earlier he had been celebrating a goal with team-mate Julian Draxler (right)
Di Maria in action earlier during the match against Nantes, before the shocking events
Items which were stolen included jewellery, watches and designer clothing.
Goalkeeper Sergio Rico’s Paris home was also burgled this year while the Spaniard was in goal for the visit of Montpellier. On that occasion, Rico had roughly £22,000 worth of items stolen.
Thieves targeting footballers’ homes in Paris and across Europe has become a real concern with several incidents over the past few years.
Former PSG star Dani Alves’ property was raided back in February 2019, while Bayern Munich attacker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting had around £530,000 worth of items, including luxury handbags, a dozen Rolex and Hublot watches as well as numerous jewels, stolen in November 2018.
The Paris home of Chelsea defender and ex-PSG captain Thiago Silva was also targeted by two intruders in December 2018, with a Richard Mille watch worth over £500,000 and some jewellery stolen. It was reported that the loot taken was valued at over £1m.
Marquinhos (pictured with his dad in 2017) played 90 minutes against Nantes but police are now investigating the attack on his parents’ home and whether it is linked to Di Maria’s home
Mauro Icardi is among a number of current and former PSG stars to have been hit by thieves