Premier League ‘will become the first division in the world to introduce concussion substitutes from February 6’, with teams allowed two permanent changes per game during trial period
- Concussion substitutes will be introduced into the Premier League next month
- The trial was approved and the top flight is keen to lead the way in player welfare
- Teams will soon be able to make two permanent concussion changes per match
- Football lawmakers IFAB are shortly expected to give approval to the measure
The Premier League will introduce concussion substitutes from February 6, according to reports.
The long-awaited trial was approved last week and the top flight is set to become the first division in the world to test out the measure.
The Athletic have claimed that, from matchday 23, teams will have two permanent concussion substitutes per game.
The Premier League is reportedly set to introduce concussion substitutes from February 6
Fears were raised over welfare of players earlier this season after a number of sickening head clashes – with the incident involving Raul Jimenez and David Luiz among those to have sparked action.
The imminent arrival of concussion substitutes signals the competition’s desire to be at the ‘forefront’ of protecting footballers, the same report says.
The test still requires the green light from the International Football Association Board, the game’s lawmakers, but there are not expected to be any difficulties.
The top flight is soon set to become the first competition in the world to test out the measure
When a concussion substitute is made in a game, the opposing team will be able to make a change of their own during the same period.
Substitutions carried out due to potential concussion will be permitted regardless of the number of switches a team has already made.
It is also thought IFAB want to try out the measure in order to introduce it into the Laws of the Game in the future.
The organisation will hold their annual general meeting in March and feedback from the trial will be provided then.
A number of sickening head clashes this season sparked concerns over the welfare of players
Premier League clubs are said to have been informed about the measure on Thursday evening.
The protocol was voted through during a meeting between all 20 clubs in December.
A number of other trials are also set to take place across football in the coming weeks.
The FA are keen to make use of the rule during the FA Cup fifth round, while concussion substitutes will also be available at the Club World Cup next month.