Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr both return clean drug tests following their eight-round exhibition bout that ended in a controversial draw
- Tyson and Jones Jr both return negative results for their fight night drugs tests
- Two boxing veterans had to pass pre-fight drug tests for their bout last month
- It was confirmed this week that both men returned clean tests from the night
Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr have both returned negative results for drugs tests that were administered on the night of their exhibition bout last month.
‘Iron Mike’, 54, and Jones Jr, 51, came out of retirement to face each other in an eight-round boxing, which controversially ended in a draw, on November 28.
The bout took place at the Staples Center with the California State Athletic Commission sanctioning the matchup while both had to pass pre-fight drug tests with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA).
Mike Tyson (R) and Roy Jones Jr (L) both return negative results for their fight night drugs tests
It was confirmed on Tuesday by California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster that both men returned clean drug tests as a result, despite Tyson admitting that he couldn’t stop smoking marijuana in the build-up to the fight.
‘Listen, I can’t stop smoking,’ Tyson said at the post-fight press conference. ‘I smoked during fights. I just have to smoke, I’m sorry. I’m a smoker. I smoke everyday. I never stopped smoking.’
Thankfully for Tyson, VADA does not test for cannabinoids with California one of the many states in America to have legalised cannabis for medicinal and recreational use.
The two veterans had to pass pre-fight drug tests with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency
The bout was a huge success financially which saw 1.2million people pay for the fight. Those figures would mean that the two veterans put on the biggest pay-per-view fight so far this year in boxing.
Tyson has donated all of his earnings to charity and spoken of his desire for more exhibitions, with Evander Holyfield a possible next opponent.
After the fight, Holyfield said he was also interested in making a comeback to face his old foe once again.
‘We’ve definitely had conversations with them. It looks like it’s going to happen,’ the 58-year-old told TMZ Sports.
‘Let’s do it, baby. Simple as that. Let’s do it. That’s the only guy that I see that the people want.
Evander Holyfield is ready to come out of retirement and become the next man to face Tyson
‘If you’re doing the thing, you’re doing it for the people. The purpose is the people because it’s the people that make things go around.
‘As for just being him, if it wasn’t for the people who want it, I wouldn’t have said nothing to him.
‘I’m a very confident person. I think it’s going to happen.’
Holyfield fought Tyson twice during their professional careers – coming out on top both times.