Newcastle United’s entire first-team squad are isolating at home after their training ground was shut following an outbreak of coronavirus cases, according to reports. Darsley Park will remain shut until Wednesday at least to throw Steve Bruce’s plans ahead of Friday’s trip to Aston Villa up in the air.
Reports at the weekend claimed four Newcastle players and one staff member had tested positive for Covid-19 last week.
And now The Telegraph say more positive tests have been returned when the latest round of results were given on Monday afternoon.
The report says Newcastle wanted each player to be tested at their homes on Sunday after two more players tested positive towards the end of last week.
The training ground has now been closed for three days and it is not yet known if it will fully reopen before Friday’s match at Villa.
The Telegraph says the Premier League’s view is that all matches should go ahead if possible.
Newcastle were without a host of players for the trip to Selhurst Park last week but it is not known which were Covid-related.
Andy Carroll, Jamal Lascelles, Emil Krafth, Allan Saint-Maximin, Isaac Hayden and goalkeeper Martin Dubravka were all absent.
Newcastle are currently 13th in the Premier League table following last Friday’s 2-0 loss at Crystal Palace.
Bruce’s side have won four of their 10 league matches, drawing two and losing four.
Newcastle still has one of the highest infection rates in the U.K. and will be placed in Tier 3 following the end of the second lockdown on Wednesday.