Latest updates: PM holds press conference; Police Federation says new rules may be impossible to enforce; Starmer says three-tier system is risky
- Boris Johnson sets out new three-tier system for England
- Crowds of up to 4,000 and grassroots games to return
- England’s new post-lockdown tier system explained
- Oxford/ AstraZeneca vaccine has up to 90% efficacy
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
Johnson said at last “an end goal” is in sight, despite the tough weeks ahead.
At last, if the promise of the vaccines is fulfilled, we do have a something to work for, a timescale which businesses can begin tentatively to plan around.
The prime minister said the government will utilise “tiering, testing and the rolling out of vaccines” to protect the population over Christmas and into the new year, but again stressed the importance of caution over the festive period.
This is not the moment to let the virus rip for the sake of Christmas parties.
It is the season to be jolly but it’s also the season to be jolly careful, especially with elderly relatives.