The former First Lady took to social media on Monday to criticise President Trump’s refusal to concede. Mr Trump has continued to claim that he has won the US election and that voter fraud took place despite providing no evidence.
In a long Instagram post, Ms Obama wrote that she had previously welcomed the Trumps into the White House in 2016.
Reflecting on her time as the First Lady, Ms Obama explained she had welcomed Mr Trump despite the fact he had “spread racist lies about my husband that had put my family in danger”.
She added: “That wasn’t something I was ready to forgive.
“But I knew that, for the sake of our country, I had to find the strength and maturity to put my anger aside.”
She said Mr Obama and herself told their staff to “do what George and Laura Bush had done for us: run a respectful, seamless transition of power—one of the hallmarks of American democracy”.
Ms Obama continued: “We invited the folks from the president-elect’s team into our offices and prepared detailed memos for them, offering what we’d learned over the past eight years.”
She revealed that none of it was easy for her at the time.
But despite that, Ms Obama said she “welcomed Melania Trump into the White House and talked with her about my experience, answering every question she had—from the heightened scrutiny that comes with being First Lady to what it’s like to raise kids in the White House”.
READ MORE: Michelle Obama fears Biden win ‘isn’t a magic wand’ amid US tensions
She added: “Do your part to encourage a smooth transition of power, just as sitting presidents have done throughout our history.”
Ms Obama’s post came a few hours after Mr Trump tweeted that he “won the election”.
On Sunday, Mr Trump insisted he is not conceding the election despite suggesting that he acknowledged Mr Biden’s win.
Mr Trump tweeted: “He won because the Election was Rigged.”
President Trump has made repeated allegations of election fraud without giving evidence to support his claims.
Many Trump supporters have organised rallies across America and “Stop the Steal” protests.
Mr Trump has blocked President-elect Biden from receiving intelligence briefings and has also withheld federal funding intended to help the transition of power.
On Friday, US election officials said in a statement they had no evidence that any voting system had deleted or lost votes, changed votes or was in any other way compromised.
The statement said: “The November 3rd election was the most secure in American history.
“Right now, across the country, election officials are reviewing and double checking the entire election process prior to finalising the result.”