The President failed to beat Joe Biden in the election, with the Democrat taking 290 electoral college votes to Mr Trump’s 214 according to the Associated Press. Twitter has previously refused to remove tweets from Mr Trump despite them falling foul of their content and community standards. The President, in response to Twitter slamming his posts with warning labels, threatened to remove legal protections from the social media giant.
President-Elect Mr Biden will be inaugurated on January 20, which will see Mr Trump return to life as a private citizen.
Now Twitter has announced the outgoing President will no longer enjoy privileges afforded to public officials in regards to posting.
The social media platform places “public interest” notices on tweets from “world leaders” that breach their content guidelines on false information.
But a spokesman for the company added in a statement: “This policy framework applies to current world leaders and candidates for office, and not private citizens when they no longer hold these positions.”
READ MORE: Trump successor: Ivanka, Donald Jr and Eric all touted to take over as POTUS in 2024
Mr Trump has frequently seen his posts issued warnings and labels by Twitter for false information.
In the last week, almost all of the President’s posts about the election being “rigged” were restricted by the company, but were kept up for public information purposes.
Mr Trump first ran afoul of Twitter’s guidelines in May when he tweeted “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” over Black Lives Matter protests, which was issued a warning over “glorifying violence”.
Twitter also restricted posts from the President about mail-in ballots on the lead up to the election.
Facebook is also likely to revoke Mr Trump’s exemption from reviews on his posts.
Their online police holds politicians, which included the President and his cabinet appointments, are exempt from fact checkins from the social media giant’s third party fact-checkers.
But they added in their policy that “former candidates for office or former officials continue to be covered by our third-party fact-checking programme”.
Twitter has censored six of the President’s posts in one day after Mr Biden clinched the election, with Facebook placing information notices under most of his posts.
Mr Trump took the companies to task earlier this year for having “unchecked power” to censor him, and issued an executive order to curb their legal protections.
In May, Mr Trump said: “A small handful of social media monopolies controls a vast portion of all public and private communications in the United States.
“They’ve had unchecked power to censor, restrict, edit, shape, hide, alter, virtually any form of communication between private citizens and large public audiences.”
The order has been challenged by Twitter and Facebook, who argue it curbs their first amendment rights to freedom of expression.
The President has been criticised throughout his presidency for using social media to spread false information.
David Cicilline, Democrat Representative of Rhode Island, said Mr Trump’s posts on the election were dangerous, and added: “Right now, the President’s Twitter account is posting lies and misinformation at a breathtaking clip.
“It is a threat to our democracy and should be suspended until all the votes are counted.”
Jessica González, CEO of advocacy group Free Press, urged Facebook and Twitter to revoke all “misleading” posts from the President on the election, and also said: “This is the Trump strategy. It’s to sow chaos, to stir up disinformation, and to organise over social media people to turn out and threaten, harass and, in some cases, even commit violence”.