Dramatic moment cops arrest BLM gunman after ‘he shot dead Patriot Muster protester’ who maced him as rival demonstrators face off in Denver
- A person has been shot and killed during protests in Denver Saturday afternoon
- A ‘Patriot Muster’ was being held, with BLM-Antifa counterprotesting
- Police were immediately on scene and the gunman dropped his weapon
- The Denver Post reported the militia supporter maced the BLM-Antifa protester
- The BLM-Antifa protester then pulled a handgun and shot dead the militiaman
- Video circulating on social media showed the moment the trigger was pulled
- Riot police at the protest ran to the noise of gunshot and arrested the gunman
A person reported to be a supporter of the Patriot Muster militia has been shot and killed at a protest in Denver, allegedly by a counterprotester with the BLM-Antifa rally.
The militia supporter maced a counterprotester, who then pulled out his handgun and shot dead the militia supporter, the Denver Post reported.
Rival rallies were called for Saturday afternoon by two opposing groups.
John ‘Tig’ Tiegen summoned his ‘Patriot Muster’ followers to a 2pm gathering in the Civic Center park with the slogan: ‘Stand up, show up.’
‘Join myself and hundreds of fellow Patriot Americans for a Muster at Civic Center Park 2pm sharp,’ he wrote on Instagram.
‘Don’t let the communists, socialist party and groups intimidate or Oppress you any longer! Come join us and be heard & seen and celebrate OUR freedoms.’
BLM-Antifa organized their own rally in the same spot, at 1:30pm – telling their supporters: ‘Counter protest the fascist rally nearby!’
One man has been taken to hospital and another, pictured, arrested for a shooting in Denver
A huge police presence in the center of the Colorado city meant that, on hearing the gunshot, riot police were almost immediately on the scene.
They arrested the gunman, who dropped his handgun without resistance and was arrested.
‘Officers are investigating a shooting that occurred in the Courtyard by the Art Museum,’ Denver Police Department (DPD) tweeted.
‘1 victim transported to the hospital their condition is unknown, 1 suspect in custody.’
They later updated their information to say two people were in custody.
It was unclear which camp either of the two people involved represented.
Denver has seen a series of tense protests and counter protests this summer.