Cheesecake is an indulgent dessert which is adored by many. There are several ways to make cheesecake, but fans of this delectable pudding often find baking it to make it a richer and creamier option. Express.co.uk has compiled a guide to explain how you can make a baked cheesecake in your home.
How to make a baked cheesecake
For the crust
- 85g butter, plus extra for the tin
- 140g digestive biscuits, made into fine crumbs (add extra biscuits if you like a thicker base)
- One tbsp sugar, granulated or golden caster
For the cheesecake filling
- 900g Philadelphia cheese, or other full-fat soft cheese
- 250g golden caster sugar
- Three tbsp plain flour
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon (about 2 tsp)
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- Three large eggs, plus one yolk
- 284ml carton soured cream
READ MORE: Cheesecake recipe: How to make ultimate New York cheesecake at home
With the mixer on low, you should gradually add 250g of golden caster sugar and then three tbsp of plain flour with a pinch of salt.
Change the paddle attachment for a whisk and add in vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Whisk in three large eggs and one yolk, one at a time, scraping the bowl and whisking at least twice.
Next, stir in 200ml of soured cream and continue on a low speed to blend, but be careful not to over-beat.
Brush the sides of the tin with melted butter and put on a baking sheet before pouring the light and somewhat airy mixture into the tin.
Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 110C/90C fan/Gas 1/4 and bake for a further 45 minutes.
Once cooked, gently shake the tin to see if the filling has a slight wobble.
Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven.
If you prefer a creamier texture you should leave the door slightly ajar, but if you like a drier texture you should leave the door closed.
Let the cheesecake cool for at least two hours and then cover loosely with foil and refrigerate for at least eight hours or overnight.
Cheesecake flavour ideas
There are several ways in which you can change your cheesecake slightly to make it seem and taste different each time for instance:
- Baked lemon cheesecake with pineapple
- Marmalade cheesecake
- White chocolate and limoncello cheesecake
- Strawberry and vanilla cheesecake
- Chocolate and coffee cheesecake
- Italian almond cheesecake.