Ianis Hagi and James Tavernier struck early as Rangers strengthened their grip at the top of the Scottish Premiership table with a 2-0 victory at Hamilton. In the process, Steven Gerrard’s men secured a record-equalling sixth successive clean sheet and went three points clear of second-placed Hibernian.

Rangers took a 15th-minute lead when Hagi stabbed home after Kemar Roofe’s header had come back off the crossbar and not been cleared. Tavernier doubled the dose five minutes later, pouncing on the rebound following keeper Ryan Fulton’s save from Ryan Kent.

They might have put the game firmly to bed within five minutes of the restart with Brandon Barker and Ryan Jack both passing up good chances, and it took a fine save from Jon McLaughlin to keep out Shaun Want’s 73rd-minute header and preserve his side’s 2-0 lead.

However, Hamilton’s captain, Scott McMann, picked up a second yellow card for a foul on Barker three minutes later to end his evening and his side’s hopes of an unlikely fightback.

Hamilton’s Scott McMann throws off his captain’s armband after being sent off against Rangers

Hamilton’s Scott McMann throws off his captain’s armband after being sent off against Rangers. Photograph: Jane Barlow/PA

Nicke Kabamba’s double helped Kilmarnock secure their first league victory of the season as they thumped promoted Dundee United 4-0 at Rugby Park. Killie took the lead on the half-hour when Kabamba headed home Calum Waters’ cross, and Eamonn Brophy increased their advantage in first-half stoppage time from Greg Kiltie’s knock-down. Kabamba doubled his tally 11 minutes from time and substitute Rory McKenzie cemented the points with a fourth as time ran down.

Jon Guthrie’s goal lifted Livingston from the foot of the table as they also collected a first three-point haul of the campaign courtesy of a 1-0 home win over 10-man Ross County. Guthrie headed Livi to victory from Julien Serrano’s 64th-minute cross, 13 minutes after Staggies defender had been sent off for a second bookable offence when he hauled down Nicky Devlin.

Stevie May was St Johnstone’s hero after coming off the bench to fire them to a 1-0 victory over St Mirren. May had only been on the pitch for five minutes when he dispatched Craig Conway’s 72nd-minute cross for the game’s only goal.

source: theguardian.com


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here