A memo warning of an attack against troops at either Tower Barracks in Grafenwoehr, or Tower Barracks in Dulmen, was issued by the 66th Military Intelligence Brigade. According to Newsweek, the memo claimed that an “unknown Jordanian extremist currently located in Germany near an unknown military base”, was planning an imminent attack. The memo continued: “The unknown Jordanian was described as a loyalist to the Jordanian kinglet (Abdullah II) and recently advocated killing US soldiers in Germany.”
US Army Europe told Newsweek that after carrying out an investigation and consulting their German counterparts, “no imminent threat was found to exist.”
However, soldiers were advised to remain alert at all times and be aware of their surroundings.
The US currently has some 36,000 still deployed in Germany.
Security at military bases in the country were stepped up in the aftermath of the assassination of the Iranian general Qasem Soleimani.
World War 3: Donald Trump
World War 3: US Military
Soleimani was killed on January 3 by a US missile strike, authorised by US President Donald Trump.
The elite Quds Force commander was considered to be the second most influential political figure in Iran after the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei.
He was the key architect of Iran’s regional influence, leading the fight against jihadist forces and extending Iran’s diplomatic heft in Iraq, Syria and beyond.
In a profile for Time’s 100 most influential people in 2017, former CIA analyst Kenneth Pollack wrote: “To Middle Eastern Shiites, he is James Bond, Erwin Rommel and Lady Gaga rolled into one.
JUST IN: Iran bombshell: How Britain’s invasion sparked decades of hostility
World War 3: US Military in Afghanistan
“To the West, he is… responsible for exporting Iran’s Islamic revolution, supporting terrorists, subverting pro-Western governments and waging Iran’s foreign wars.”
He built up strong relations with Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas, both of which are categorised as terrorist organisations by Western states.
In an interview with the Express.co.uk, a former Trump strategist said the Iranian general had been plotting several attacks against US interests in the Middle East and deserved to die.
Dr Sebastian Gorka, who worked as a Deputy Assistant to Trump in 2017, said: “This is the man who masterminded Iran’s terrorist attacks on six continents for the last three decades.
Trump blunder: How Iran hostility could strengthen regime [Analysis]
Iran plane crash: Iran refuses to hand investigation black boxes [Update]
Donald Trump’s indirect ‘business ties’ to Iran’s Revolutionary Guard [Latest]
World War 3: US King Abdullah II of Jordan
World War 3: US military on active duties
“He deserved to die and he had to be killed right now given that the President just received “exquisite intelligence” that Soleimani was planning multiple attacks in three countries that would have taken hundreds of more American lives.”
Last week the US President appeared on Fox news and confirmed that Soleimani and the Iranians were planning multiple attacks at US embassies throughout the Middle East.
He told Fox news presenter Laura Ingraham: “I can reveal that I believe it probably would’ve been four embassies.”
World War 3: US-Iran Comparison
Dr Gorka also claimed that former US President Barack Obama helped sponsor Soleimani’s reign of terror across the Middle East.
He argued that Mr Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran in 2015 released billions of US dollars to Iran, thereby enabling the regime to fund Soleimani’s activities in the Middle East.
He explained: “Iran is the largest state-sponsor of terrorism in the world and has been for decades. As part of the disastrous JCPOA Iran deal, Obama released more than $140 billion dollars to the murderous Mullahs of Iran.
World War 3: Qasem Soleimani
“That emboldened the regime and helped fund Soleimani’s deadly covert operations against America and our allies.”
Mr Obama agreed a deal with Iran in 2015 over its nuclear programme, which became known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
China, France, Russia, the UK and the EU were co-signatories to the deal, under the terms of which Iran consented to limit its sensitive nuclear activities and allow in international inspectors in return for the lifting of crippling economic sanctions.