Pearl Harbor naval base has been put on lockdown after reports emerged of a gunman at large on the premises. The Mirror Online reports that witnesses claim to have seen up to three people on the ground, alluding to them being shot.
Two of the three victims are said to be in critical condition, while a third is stable.
Other officials say at least one person has been injured as a result of the shooting.
Details are so far unclear.
Military and hospital officials said it is unclear whether the gunman has been apprehended, despite earlier reports to the contrary.
Parts of the base have been reopened, according to the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Twitter page.
Honolulu Emergency Medical Service spokeswoman Shayne Enright says they treated and transported patients but wouldn’t provide more details.
Reports of the shooting came in around 2.30pm (12.30am GMT) local time.
The New York Times reported that a woman who answered a phone at the base confirmed the compound was on lockdown.
JUST IN: Ursids meteor shower 2019: When is the Ursids meteor shower?
The Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam confirmed there had been a shooting at the shipyard.
It did not confirm any further details.
The shooting comes three days before the 78th anniversary of Japan’s attack on the base.
The attack saw more than 2,300 Americans killed and its Pacific Naval Fleet destroyed, on December 7, 1941.