Envision Virgin Racing star Sam Bird took victory in the opening race of the new Formula E season ahead of Andre Lotterer and Stoffel Vandoorne.
The Brit forced his way past Edoardo Mortara and Jerome d’Ambrosio in the opening stages and utilised his Attack Mode well to overtake Mercedes pair of Nyck de Vries and Vandoorne.
Pole-sitter Alexander Sims led for much of the race but the BMW i Andretti Motorsport driver fell back through the pack after being on the end of forceful moves from De Vries, Vandoorne and Oliver Rowland.
Lotterer benefited from a late safety car to jump past Vandoorne, securing second from seventh on the grid, while former champions Jean-Eric Vergne and Sebastien Buemi both failed to finish due to reliability issues but will hope to get their seasons up and running with the second race of the campaign on Saturday.
Diriyah ePrix Race One results – Full classification
24. Nico Muller (Geox Dragon) – DNS
23. Sebastian Buemi (Nissan e.dams) – DNF
22. Jean-Eric Vergne (DS Techeetah) – DNF
21. Daniel Abt (Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler) – DNF
20. Ma Qing Hua (NIO 333 FE Team) +1 lap
19. Brendon Hartley (Geox Dragon) +42.219
18. Maxi Gunther (BMW i Andretti Motorsport) +25.662
17. Neel Jani (TAG Heuer Porsche Formula E Team) +15.429
16. James Calado (Panasonic Jaguar Racing) +11.572
15. Oliver Turvey (NIO 333 FE Team) +10.172
14. Antonio Felix da Costa (DS Techeetah) +8.853
13. Lucas di Grassi (Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler) +8.404
12. Felipe Massa (ROKiT Venturi Racing) +8.166
11. Pascal Wehrlein (Mahindra Racing) +7.460
10. Mitch Evans (Panasonic Jaguar Racing) +7.048
9. Jerome d’Ambrosio (Mahindra Racing) +6.628
8. Alexander Sims (BMW i Andretti Motorsport) +5.715
7. Edoardo Mortara (ROKiT Venturi Racing) +5.122
6. Nyck de Vries (Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team) +4.560
5. Robin Frijns (Envision Virgin Racing) +3.983
4. Oliver Rowland (Nissan e.dams) +1.944
3. Stoffel Vandoorne (Mercedes-Benz EQ Formula E Team) +1.672
2. Andre Lotterer (TAG Heuer Porsche Formula E Team) +1.319
1. Sam Bird (Envision Virgin Racing)