Tropical Storm Dorian is the fourth named tropical storm of the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season. Although a small storm, extending only 45 miles from the centre, this sort of weather systems can undergo rapid fluctuations in intensity. Dorian is currently whipping out 60mph winds as it’s churning west toward several Caribbean islands.
- Dorian is expected to bring tropical storm conditions to portions of the Lesser Antilles through Tuesday morning, where tropical storm watches and warnings are in effect.
- Tropical storm conditions are possible in Puerto Rico on Wednesday, where a tropical storm watch has been issued.
- Watches will likely be issued for portions of Hispaniola early Tuesday.
- While uncertainty is high, wind and rain impacts are possible in the Bahamas and Florida later this week and this weekend.
Read below for Express.co.uk’s live updates from Tropical Storm Dorian. All times in BST.
9.14am update: Dorian to produce life-threatening conditions
Swells generated by Dorian are affecting portions of the Lesser Antilles and they should continue during the next several hours.
According to NOAA, swells are expected to increase along the southern coasts of Puerto Rico and Hispaniola on Wednesday and they could cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
9.02am update: Travellers visiting the Caribbean warned to “exercise due caution”
Holidaymakers heading to the Caribbean have been warned of Dorian, set to hit the islands on Tuesday.
The UK Foreign Office has issued an alert to all travellers, while the US National Hurrican Centre warned the storm could be “near hurricane strength” when it hits the Eastern Caribbean.
The warning covers Barbados, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica, Martinique and Grenada.
A Foreign Office spokesperson said: “Tropical Storm Dorian is forecast to affect the eastern Caribbean from Tuesday 27 August. You should exercise due caution and monitor local news and weather reports.
“The hurricane season normally runs from June to November. You should monitor local and international weather updates from the US National Hurricane Centre and follow the advice of local authorities, including any evacuation orders.”
8.35am update: Dorian approaching the Windward Islands
Dorian is approaching the Windward Islands with tropical storm force winds.
According to NOAA, the weather system’s maximum sustained winds are currently at 50mph (85km/h).
Its present movement is west-northwest at 13mph.
8.29am update: Summary of watches and warnings in effect
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- Grenada and its dependencies Saba and St Eustatius
- Puerto Rico