FILE PHOTO – California Governor Jerry Brown’s name and others are pictured on a railroad rail after a ceremony for the California High Speed Rail in Fresno, California January 6, 2015. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – California on Tuesday sued the Trump administration after it confirmed last week it will withhold $929 million in high-speed rail funding awarded to the state in 2010.
California later on Tuesday plans to seek a temporary restraining order request asking a judge to prevent the Trump administration from repurposing the money, the governor’s office said. The U.S. Transportation Department, which did not immediately comment, said last week it had canceled the funding agreement after it said the state “failed to make reasonable progress on the project.”
Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by James Dalgleish