Fortnite fans can download update 9.01, as Epic Games takes the game offline for maintenance.
Despite the downtime, update 9.01 isn’t packed full of new features, although it does make some crucial changes.
Slipstreams have seen the biggest changes, having been disabled after Storm Phase 5.
Fans will also be pleased to hear that they no longer block building.
Baller health has also been reduced, which Epic believes will reduce its effectiveness as a defensive item, without impacting its strengths.
“The primary goal of the Baller is to provide fun and exciting mobility. We feel that it still has a little too much defensive agency – this change should reduce the effectiveness there while not impacting its strengths,” Epic confirms.
But the headline new feature is the Tactical Assault Rifle, which is handy in tight quarters.
“Tactics take the day! This robust and precise assault rifle is the ideal option for tight quarters,” reads an Epic post.
You can see the full list of update 9.01 patch notes below…
WEAPONS + ITEMS
Tactical Assault Rifle
• Available in Rare, Epic, and Legendary variants.
• Available from Floor Loot, Chests, Supply Drops, and Vending Machines
• Fully Automatic
• 30 Round Magazine
• Deals 22/23/24 damage
• Headshot Multiplier of 1.75x
• This weapon has a tight spread in close quarters but is less effective at long range when compared to other Assault Rifles.
• Reduced Baller health from 200 to 150
• The primary goal of the Baller is to provide fun and exciting mobility. We feel that it still has a little too much defensive agency – this change should reduce the effectiveness there while not impacting its strengths.
• Drum Gun adjustments
• Reduced base damage from 26/27 to 22/23
• Since its unvaulting, the Drum Gun effectiveness has been slightly higher than we wanted. This change should reduce its combat effectiveness while still retaining its flavor.
• Vaulted Compact SMG
• Due to the recent addition of the Drum Gun and the brand new Tactical Assault Rifle, we wanted to reduce the availability of high rate-of-fire weapons.
• Slipstreams no longer block building.
• Trying to build up to get into a Slipstream should be an easy & intuitive experience. We noticed some cases where players would build up to the Slipstream, but due to build restrictions would take a ‘leap of faith’ and not make the jump. This should make getting into a Slipstream easier.
• Players flying in a Slipstream will destroy player built objects when they collide.
• Slipstreams are now disabled after storm phase 5.
• We’ve seen a number of cases where Slipstreams caused issues during late game circles – primarily around getting pulled into the storm unexpectedly. Since the value of Slipstream mobility is limited in those scenarios, we felt it’s better to simply disable them.
• Improvements made to level streaming performance on all platforms.
• This will reduce cases of buildings not loading in.
• Physics optimizations to improve performance in conduits