Tired of the same old holiday decorations? You can add a little digital dazzle to your Google Home Hub ($149 at Walmart), Amazon Echo Show ($230 at Amazon) or Facebook Portal to make a festive slideshow.using your
It only takes a few minutes to set up and will make you grin every time you look at it.
How to set up a slideshow on an Amazon Echo Show
Before you can create a slideshow for your Echo Show, you’ll need to set up a Christmas photo album:
- Go to the Amazon Photos site.
- Select Album > Create Album.
- Give your new album a name and choose Create.
- Pick the photos you want to add, then select Add to Album.
To set up the slideshow:
- Swipe down from the home screen on your Echo Show.
- Select Settings > Display > Photo Slideshow.
To start the slide show say, “Alexa, show my [whatever you named your Christmas album].”
How to set up a slideshow on a Facebook Portal
You probably set your Portal to show photos from Facebook when you went through the initial setup. However, you can go back and change the settings to show a holiday-themed slideshow.
First, you’ll need at least one Facebook album that contains holiday photos. To create one:
- Open the Facebook app on your phone or tablet.
- Go to Menu > See More > Photos > Add.
- Choose the photos from your device that you’d like to add.
- Tap Done > +Album > Create New Album.
- Name your album and tap Create.
Now you have an album of holiday photos you can use on your Portal.
To display your holiday album on your Facebook Portal:
- Swipe left on the Portal’s home screen.
- Go to Settings > Superframe > Facebook Photos.
- Follow the onscreen directions to unlock this feature so you can edit your selections.
- Scroll down to Albums and slide the tabs beside all of your previous album and photo selections to off.
- Next, toggle on your Christmas album.
- Finally, go to Settings > General > Screen Off and toggle on the 1 Hour option so that the display doesn’t shut off right away.
During a party or gathering, the movement in the room should be enough to trigger the motion detector and keep the screen from going into rest mode.
How to set up a slideshow on a Google Home Hub
With Google Photos, you can set up a Christmas slideshow that you can display on the Google Home Hub, or on your TV with a.
Start by making an album of holiday photos:
- On the Google Photos site or in the mobile app go to Albums > Create new album.
- Name your album and tap or click Select Photos.
- Click or tap on the photos you want and click Done.
To display your photos on your Home Hub or TV:
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap on your Hub or Chromecast, then tap Device Settings.
- Tap on Ambient Mode and then tap Google Photos.
- Select the holiday album you created.
Both the Google Home Hub and Chromecast will play a slideshow of photos from your holiday album when they’re idle.
You’re probably: Here’s what you need to know.
CNET’s Holiday Gift Guide: This is the best place to find tech gifts for 2018.