The 30-year-old who competed on the BBC series with his dance partner Janette Manrara, 34, last year saw the pair voted off the show ahead of the final to take home the Glitter Ball trophy.
The Strictly Come Dancing favourite spoke with OK! online where he jokingly admitted he was annoyed he did not get a chance to take part in the latest addition to the show’s format – the “Couple’s Choice” category.
Speaking to the publication, Aston said: ”I’ve been on tour so I haven’t been able to watch it much, but I’ve seen a few bits.
“But when I switched on I was fuming – what is this couples choice? I didn’t get chance to do it.
“If I got a couples choice last year that would have been a different story.”
The Strictly bosses introduced a new category where the dance partners get to pick their three dances to show off their skills in either contemporary dance, street and commercial dance as well as theatre and jazz.
However the former JLS member felt the change to the show was necessary as he feels dance is currently evolving.
He continued: “Dance is evolving, everything has to change at some point so it’s only right to take that leap – I think it’s a good thing.”
It was announced earlier this week, Aston will be joining the line-up for the Strictly Come Dancing Christmas special, set to air on BBC One on Christmas Day.
Other celebrities to be featured in the line-up include Love Island presenter Caroline Flack, ex-politician Ann Widdecombe, cricketer Michael Vaughan among other celebrities.
Aston told OK! he is already in rehearsals as he gears up for his Strictly comeback.
The father-of-one said: “We started rehearsing this week, which is great and it’s nice to be back in the rehearsal room.”
Meanwhile the Get Stupid singer, took to Instagram earlier today to reveal to his 285,000 followers his latest single Bon Appetit is available now.
He captioned the post: “R&B is ALIVE people!!! #3 #bonappetit.”
His fans quickly bombarded the star with praise as one fan wrote: “Get it to number one,” while another wrote: “So good!!!”
Another person wrote: “Nice one brother,” as a fourth person replied: “Such a banger.”
Even former The Saturdays band member and current This Morning presenter Rochelle Humes replied with clapping emojis.
Aston was formerly a member of the popular boyband JLS who rose to fame on the ITV series The X Factor in 2008.
The four-piece boyband were runner-ups to X Factor winner Alexandra Burke.
Despite their success, the group disbanded after five years and announced their split in 2013.
Strictly Come Dancing 2018 continues Saturday at 7pm.