1. According to the Book of Genesis, Jacob lived for 147 years, which is also the age of Clacton pier.
2. 1, 4, and 7 are the numbers forming the lefthand column of a computer’s numerical keypad.
3. In the year 147, Rome celebrated the supposed 900th anniversary of the city’s founding in 753 BC.
4. The original height of the Great Pyramid of Cheops in Egypt was 147 metres.
5. The highest possible break in snooker in the absence of a foul is 147.
6. The first officially recognised 147 break was made by Joe Davis in 1955. The first televised 147 break was by Steve Davis in 1982.
7. The only professional break greater than 147, beginning with a foul by the opponent leaving a free ball, was the 148 scored by Jamie Burnett in 2004.
8. Volkswagen, Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lexus have all produced car models with the number 147.
9. Last year, Selfridges in London opened its Christmas shop 147 days before Christmas.
10. On January 6, 2014, Jeremy Paxman shaved off the beard he had worn on television for 147 days.
“Beards are so 2013,” he said.