Transfer News LIVE updates: All the latest news and gossip from around the world
Thursday 23, August
- Real Madrid have struck an agreement to sign Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas
- Barcelona are hoping to extend the contract of manager Ernesto Valverde
- Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is determined to join Barcelona
- The bookies have tipped Real Madrid to sign Willian before the end of the month
Transfer News: Real Madrid have struck an agreement to sign Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas
Real Madrid reach agreement with Iago Aspas
Real Madrid have struck an agreement to sign Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas, reports claim.
Julen Lopetegui’s side still haven’t signed a replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo, who joined Juventus and ended a stint in Spain that saw him win two La Liga titles and four Champions League trophies.
But reinforcements could be on the horizon.
That’s according to a report from El Chiringuito de Jugones, which claims Real Madrid have an agreement in place to sign Aspas should they fail to bring Valencia’s Rodrigo to the Bernabeu.
It’s said Aspas, 31, has agreed terms but negotiations with Celta Vigo will still need to take place.
Rodrigo, who was part of the squad Lopetegui named for the World Cup before being sacked, scored 16 goals in 37 league appearances for Valencia last season.
But Valencia president Anil Murthy says Real Madrid will have to trigger his €120million (£107m) release clause.
Transfer News: James Rodriguez could make a shock return to Real Madrid
James Rodriguez return?
James Rodriguez could make a shock return to Real Madrid.
That’s according to El Pais, who claim Julen Lopetegui’s side are thinking about recalling him from Bayern Munich.
Rodriguez joined the Bundesliga champions in a two-year loan deal last season where he netted eight goals and provided 14 assists in 39 appearances.
And El Pais say Real Madrid hierarchy will discuss whether paying £35million for their own player to break the loan agreement is worthwhile.
Barcelona Transfer News: PSG are ready to make an £81m bid for Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic
PSG’s Ivan Rakitic approval
PSG are ready to make an £81m bid for Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic.
The offer would not be enough to trigger the Croatia star’s £107m release clause.
But SPORT claim Barcelona could well accept the offer as they need to drive their wage bill down.
Barca have already offloaded midfielders Andres Iniesta and Paulinho this summer and to lose Rakitic would likely force them back into the transfer market with eight days of the window remaining.
Transfer News: Barcelona will have to wait to sign Frenkie De Jong
Wanted: Frenkie De Jong
Barcelona will have to wait until next summer to sign Ajax midfielder Frenkie De Jong.
Ajax wanted to wait until their Champions League fate was resolved before agreeing to a £44.2m offer from Barca.
And the club are expected to reach the Champions League after leading Dynamo Kiev 3-1 from the first leg of their qualifying playoff.
Should Ajax progress they want De Jong to compete in the group stage, before a likely sale next summer.
Ademola Lookman staying
Ademola Lookman is going nowhere, according to Everton manager Marcos Silva.
The 20-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan with RB Leipzig and they have already had two bids to sign him permanently rejected.
Lookman made the squad for the first time this season for Saturday’s win over Southampton but did not get on the pitch.
“He is our player. You know what my technical opinion of the player is and the player knows. For me it is not an issue,” said Silva.
“I understand some clubs are interested in him but at the end I told you last week, I told you two weeks ago, my opinion he is the present and the future of the club and we have to try to convince him to go in this way as well.”
Transfer News: The bookies have now tipped Real Madrid to sign Willian
Ernesto Valverde contract extension
Barcelona are hoping to extend the contract of manager Ernesto Valverde, reports claim.
Valverde replaced Luis Enrique in May 2017 and set about winning the La Liga title and Copa del Rey during his debut campaign.
Valverde, 54, has entered the final year of his Nou Camp contract and technical director Eric Abidal is planning a meeting next month to discuss an extension.
Though Valverde claimed two domestic titles, their campaign was soured somewhat by crashing out of the Champions League to Roma at the quarter-final stage while Real Madrid won the trophy for a third consecutive year.
Paul Pogba to Barcelona latest
Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is determined to join Barcelona.
The France international, who won the World Cup this summer, has been heavily linked with a switch to the Nou Camp.
Barca can sign players until August 31, however, the Red Devils wouldn’t be able to sign a replacement for the £89m midfielder.
And according to The Times, Pogba is intent on joining Barcelona this month.
Transfer News: Barcelona are hoping to extend the contract of manager Ernesto Valverde
Willian backed to join Real Madrid
Willian could quit Stamford Bridge for Real Madrid, the bookies claim.
The Brazil international has been heavily linked with a move away from Chelsea in recent weeks.
Barcelona and Real Madrid have been credited with interest in the 29-year-old, with reports yesterday claiming Real had tabled a £55m bid for Willian.
And the bookies have now tipped Real Madrid to sign Willian before the end of the month, slashing the odds on the deal from 8-1 to 2-1.
“Barcelona failed in their attempt to sign Willian earlier in the summer transfer window, however, the latest betting activity suggests the Brazilian could be set for a move to Spain after all to join Real Madrid before the end of this month,” Coral’s John Hill said.
“We have been knocked over with interest in our betting this morning and as a result the Chelsea winger’s odds have been slashed to join the Spanish giants.”