1. There are 1,264 islands and islets in Croatia.
2. Croatia used to be part of Yugoslavia. It became independent in 1991 and was recognised by other countries in 1992.
3. Dalmatian dogs originally came from the region of Croatia called Dalmatia.
4. The town of Hum in Croatia is said to be the world’s smallest. At the last census its population was 21.
5. Courts in Croatia have ruled that Uber taxis are illegal. So are cannabis, stalking, camping in the wild and sports betting.
6. Zagreb, capital of Croatia, comes last in an alphabetical list of the world’s capitals.
7. According to Alfred Hitchcock, writing in 1964, Zadar in Croatia has the most beautiful sunset in the world.
8. The film Mamma Mia 2 is supposedly set on the Greek island of Kalokairi but was actually filmed on Vis, off the coast of Croatia.
9. Ivo Karlovic of Croatia holds the record for numbers of tennis aces served in his career…
10. …and Goran Ivanisevic (also Croatia) has the record for most aces in a single tournament.